Help with new juvenile Axolotl

DeCypher

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Austin
I should get an Axolotl in the mail soon (maybe a week). I already have a 20-gallon tank set up. All I need in there is plants. But I heard that you shouldn't raise the juveniles in a tank. The juvenile should be about 3 centimeters long when I get it. What can I do? I heard you could raise them in a lrge tupperware and whatnot. When I get it, what should I do from there on?

I raised 4 one inch (3cm) long juveniles in a 20 gallon tank just fine. I used a small tetra 3i filter with no substrate. At one inch, sand could be an impaction threat. Keep it simple with a juvenile, you can make his/her tank all pretty later.

I did use several artificial plants and a few large rocks (slate) for them to hang out on. Juveniles like to float and hang out in the tops of plants.

You can use a small plastic container (about shoe box sized) if you would rather, but the water should be changed daily with fresh dechlorinated water. You will want to keep the temperature closely monitored because smaller bodies of water can be more difficult to keep cool.

It sounds better then to take most of the stuff out of the tank. I won't have to clean as much!

Can I just put the Axie in the tank as soon as I get it?

What will they eat? (I have frozen bloodworms, earthworms, redworms, waxworms, and beefheart)

They'll grow quick. Get a cheap GladWare type container and raise him in that until he's 2 or 3 inches long.

Have you read Axolotl.org yet? That goes over pretty well what little ones eat.

I read Axolotl.org and it was extremely helpful. I am pretty much just asking questions that the site didn't answer.

~The breeder said that they are already 2-2.5 inches already. So should I just stick them in the tank instead of a tupperware?

~The tank has only been up for literally a couple hours! Do I have to cycle it? I have a Duetto 100 filter running already. It's a great filter, I have a Duetto 50 for my N. Viridescens and it's fantastic. I am sorry for being paranoid...I only have experience with N. Viridescens and I just want to make sure I am doing this right!

You'll want to minimize the duetto flow by pointing the output at the wall.

2.5 inches is big enough to be fed earthworm chunks. And I'd put them in the tank.

You don't have to cycle your tank (although you've been told since you started asking about axolotls that you should get it set up), but you will have to be extremely careful about water quality.

Thanks! Just a couple more things~

I am putting slate rock in there, and I am wondering how I would clean the rocks. Do I have to clean off the rocks or not? (I am worried about this because of bacteria that I want to keep).

Is the Duetto 100 a good filter for a 20-gallon? Or are there better options?

Am I going to make water changes every day?

I apologize for asking so many questions!

Your going to test your water for ammonia/nitrite every day, and if you have any of either you should do a water change. Once your tank cycles and you only get nitrates your safe to wait a week to do water changes. I've heard boiling is a great way to clean rocks. You should not have to clean the rocks once they are in the tank, but if it gets a build up of junk you should be fine if you clean it. There should be plenty of beneficial bacteria in your substrate, and filter once your tank has cycled properly

And make sure you check the edges of the rocks for sharp points.

As for the duetto, it's a decent filter. I had both a 50 and a 100, and it was okay. I never used them for the axolotls though, just the semi-aquatic tanks. I much preferred external canister filters for the axolotls.

What are some good types of canister filters?

~The juvenile will eat frozen bloodworms, right? (I have a truly endless supply of those)

I used the Rena Filstar XP canister filters for years. They're really reasonably priced, and work pretty well.

Yes, you can feed them bloodworms, but they're low in calcium so you'll have to feed other things too.

Do they really? That's the only thing two of my N. Viridescens will accept! Looks like I need to feed more earthworms if possible.~

I will definitely check out that filter. Thank you for all your help!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back