Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Swollen Stomach?

Travis

Reaction score
I just got him yesterday, and I didn't feed him yet (was told he needs to adjust to the water). I did put water conditioner before I put him in. The PH level is under 7.0

Here's a photo

scaled.php

dragonlady

Reaction score
Do you know what substrate he was on before you got him? What do you have him on now? In case you don't know, gravel is not recommended for use with axolotls as they can attempt to swallow anything that is not larger than their heads. Other parameters would be good to know too - ammonia, nitrite/nitrate, temp. Is your tank cycled? If not, you will definitely want to keep a close eye on all the parameters until the cycle is complete.

My first guess would be that he has swallowed some gravel as the stomach is very dark and swollen. If you shine a light through his stomach area, you should be able to see if those are stones, gravel, or something else. Depending on the size of the gravel/stones, he should be able to pass these over time.

If this is the case, you can fridge him for a while to help him pass the stones/gravel. If the stones look large, you will want to consult a vet.

If it's not something he swallowed, it could be an infection or possibly the beginning of bloat - a better pic could help in determining this. If this is the case, you should consult a vet. However, if it is bloat, I'd contact your seller as to the best of my knowledge, there isn't a real cure for bloat.

Last edited:

Travis

Reaction score
Hey there,

Thanks for the response. I have checked the water temp, and it's currently at 70. Ammonia is 0. I currently do not have a filter on the tank.

He was fine when I got him, this happened over night. He was born in a bare bottom tank. The rocks in my tank are big, much bigger than his body.

Here is another picture.

2cfegas.jpg

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If it isn't gravel inside, then I would guess it's fluid build-up. It could have been a result of the sudden change in water parameters from his old tank to his new one. Was the previous owner using salt in the water?

Travis

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I went to the place I bought it, and they said he was in gravel before they moved him. They said that they've found gravel in the bare bottom tank because they're pooping them out. I hope he'll be okay.

Any suggestions to help him? His tail is has a curve, it seems he's stressed.

I also got this filter, I was told it would be perfect for him, I would like to know what you guys think.

rk80ue.jpg

Manifest

Reaction score
He does look a lot like he's full of gravel, if the store where you got him said he'd been pooping it out, chances are there is still quite a bit to go by the looks of him. Fridging is supposed to be good for moving gravel through their digestive tracts. There's an article about that process on this site.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1