Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Found a snail in my cycling tank

twistedfisher

Reaction score
well i got snails everywhere so i cant really say!

At least most of mine are pretty red ramshorns :)

SeanB

Reaction score
When i didnt know what they were i cleaned my tank.
Later i found out that there not a bad thing.
They help you tank and sometimes tells you that your tank is cycled and ready to go.
The snails come and go, they get eaten and more come.
Nothing to freak out about, which i did. Haha!

Srkoe

Reaction score
My real concern is the Axie getting it trapped in it's gills, the snail is about the size of a small piece of gravel. I hate to kill him...we have already named him Fred...lol!!! Baby ghost shrimp are living in my moss ball...it amazes me they are still alive with the high ammonia levels in the tank.

blackdog

Reaction score
i've got pond snails from store bought plants.

I frantically tried to eradicate them by picking them out madly, i didn't want to dose the tank with anything.

After a short while i realised i was fighting a never ending, un-winable battle when i cleaned my canister filter and found a thriving community of snails in there :)

Now, i just pick out the bigger ones when i see them (3-5 mm +) to make sure the axies can't eat them and risk impaction (just in case) - the smaller ones they seem to eat and digest fine.

I also suck out the eggs with the turkey baster if i see them.

I still get snails, i'll never get them out faster than they can breed, but im not concerned about impaction now i get the bigger ones out, and they do clean up and eat algae etc, so not all bad.

Bren

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!