Fat female with blue stomach!

siona

Reaction score
Country
England
My female (who laid eggs a week ago) seems to have got fatter in the last couple of days. I've also noticed a darker, blueish bit on her belly. Should I be concerned? Is a visit to the fridge in order or shall I wait and see how she fares? She's been eating well, a mixture of frozen bloodworms, frozen feeder fish and earthworms from the garden.
There's nothing in the tank that she could have swallowed...she does have a habit of sucking in sand then spitting it outm but there are no stones in there...

Attachments

• DSC00644.jpg
    DSC00644.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 12,196
Is she loading up with eggs again?

Mine regularly look this way - I thought it was just full bellies/preparing little tank gifts for me.

Mine regularly look this way - I thought it was just full bellies/preparing little tank gifts for me.

lol nicely put! She looks better this morning so I think you're right - I just got a bit worried :p

I reckon it looks like she has been munching on the blue sand :D

I agree. This is why we recommend sand as a substrate rather than gravel. The sand will be passed through the intestine, while gravel can be lodged in there.

I agree as well, it looks like the substrate is in her belly to me. Is this gravel? the picture is a little foggy (i also can't find my glasses:eek:)

Sometimes gravel can cause a life threatening impaction. I would suggest to take the gravel out and use fine sand. Try leaving her in a bare bottom tank and see how many pebbles she poops out. I think you'll be surprised at what you see. :happy:

If you want to see something really amazing click on my link below.

Looks like gravel to me - small gravel(but not quite as fine as sand)...probably a good idea to get it out of there if she's ingesting enough to cause such a large belly.

Sorry haven't checked this thread in a while. The photo is terrible sorry! It is sand in the tank - quite fine and I've had no problems with it. The day after the photo was taken she was back to normal and she's been fine since. I put it down to her having just laid eggs for the first time... To be honest it never occured to me that it could be the sand! I thought it was normal...like the internal organs showing through or something :-S

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back