Question: Housing For Newt and Salamander?

JD3P

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a three gallon hex aquarium with a lid and led light. If I was to make half land, half water, or 1/4 water, 3/4 land would this be okay for a newt or salamander....or would they need more room? I would assume I can only house one newt/salamander in this size tank. Thanks.

The minimum recommended size for even one single small aquatic species is 40l which is about 10 gallons. As you can see, your tank is WAY too small.
In such a tiny volume maintaining water quality would be almost imposible, plus the poor animal would be extremely confined.

Even a 10-gallon tank can become too small when it's divided into a land/water setup (especially if there is a firm divider that makes the water area smaller than the full dimensions of the tank). I can think of a few things that might work in your 3-gallon tank, but none of them are newts or salamanders! You might want to have a betta fish, or a couple of freshwater shrimp, for example.

Thanks for the info guys. Won't be getting either unless I get a bigger tank.

If you decide to get a bigger tank and give caudates a go (which i highly recommend :p) the bigger the tank, the better for you and the animals. Remember, 10 gallons of water (Jen was very right to point that out) is the bare minimum. If you go higher than that things will only be easier. A bigger tank also widens the possibilities of suitable species.
Before you jump into it, make sure to read as much as you can, cycle the tank, prepare everything...

I agree with the above, especially as the tank that you have is tall. Caudates will use horizontal space more (although they can climb if given the right furniture so a secure lid is needed). So the bigger the floor space the better. I also recommend that you decide which species you want and read up on them in detail in order to decide how much water/land that particular species needs as some do not need as much water and some do not fair well with depth.
Taking your time to build a suitable habitat before acquiring the little guys will better your chances of success, which is best for them and for your own experience.

Please keep us updated on your new adventure.

Rachel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back