Question: How do i prevent my Axies from breeding?

iAxolotl

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hey guys, maybe this sounds a little bit rude but, how do i PREVENT my Axie's from breeding? They are still pretty young and one of them ( A white one) is showing sexual maturity and there is a chance he/she's a female. and the other Axolotl can be still a male.
I don't want them to breed because of space,money and care.

It doesn't sound rude and well done for being responsible. Unfortunately the only way would be to keep them separated although if they are juvenile they wont be active breeders yet. I think you might have some time yet before this might be an issue for you - if you post some pictures there are people on here who are good at identifying gender who might be able to let you know whether you have a boy and girl or 2 boys / 2 girls ...

It doesn't sound rude and well done for being responsible. Unfortunately the only way would be to keep them separated although if they are juvenile they wont be active breeders yet. I think you might have some time yet before this might be an issue for you - if you post some pictures there are people on here who are good at identifying gender who might be able to let you know whether you have a boy and girl or 2 boys / 2 girls ...
Thanks for replying.
I will try tomorrow to post pics. (My Leucistic Axie is looking at me at the moment btw which is cute)

Not looking at ya its telling you thanks for the love and smiling at ya!

If the tank is big enough, you could use a divider.

I just got a pretty reasonably priced clear divider from ebay for my 36 x 18 x 18 inch tank

I have two males, but one has a nipped up tail and i wanted to separate them long enough for it to heal properly.

It is very unobtrusive

Bren

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back