Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: White glob on gills

erink

Reaction score
My axolotl; Slug, has a white cotton-like glob on her gills (see images below). She has eaten very little in the past few days and isn't as active as usual. I've read that this is probably a bacterial/fungal infection but I thought I should get a second opinion before taking further action. So far I have separated her from my other axolotl and put her in a container of dechlorinated water in the fridge. I plan to start the salt bathing treatment tomorrow.
If anyone has any advice or info, it would be greatly appreciated.
- Thanks, Erin.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-01-09 at 3.51.49 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-01-09 at 3.51.49 PM.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 273
  • Screen shot 2011-01-09 at 3.51.33 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-01-09 at 3.51.33 PM.png
    593.9 KB · Views: 302

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Definitely a fungal infection. Since you've already read up on fridging and salt baths, you're on the right track.

However, the size of your gravel is very worrisome. This size is at just the wrong size, and can cause impactions, which can possibly lead to death. You should seriously consider changing this gravel for sand or larger rocks.

erink

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I'll get rid of the gravel asap :)

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Good to hear. Let us know how the salt baths go! Hopefully your little guy heals up quickly :)

erink

Reaction score
The salt baths are going well. Not much has changed at this stage but the mass is slightly darker in colour. Would bathing her twice a day speed up her recovery?
How long did it take for the fungus to clear up on your axolotl?
- Thanks

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Twice a day is what's recommended for salt baths.

I ended up pulling the fungus off my axolotl, as it seemed very loosely attached.

erink

Reaction score
I am thrilled to say the fungus is gone!! However, it has taken the gill feathers with it and only stubs remain. Will they grow back?
-----> To anyone who has an axolotl with a gill fungus, I definately recommend fridging and salt baths. I was a little hesitant at first but it really is the cure! I'll upload some photos soon to show you how well Slug has recovered.
Thanks Kaysie!! :)

carsona246

Reaction score
I've never dealt with fungus myself, but I've been reading threads about it in case I ever have to deal with it, and I'm pretty sure that the gill feathers falling off is not unusual and they should grow back. Glad to hear your axolotl is fungus free!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Glad to hear Slug's made a recovery!

As for the gills, provide cool clean water, and the gills should fluff back up to their usual size, maybe a little smaller. Just keep in mind the colder the water, and the better oxygenated, the smaller the gills will be.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1