Question: Undergravel (UGF) Filter?

alexx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We all know the risks of gravel and axolotls, the idea I'm presenting is as follows:

A layer (1 inch ish) of pea-like gravel ontop of the filter plate for the mechanical and biological filtration and also making planting easier, followed by a layer of fine mesh to seperate the gravel. Then a layer of large polished river rocks or similar on top for the axies to walk on, keeping them out of reach of the smaller, ingestable gravel.

What do you think? I really like UGF filters as they're quiet, efficient and cheap. (I use a 4watt powerhead to get a good uplift with little heat given off, with a diffuser to stop current)

I don't see why it would not work, I just hate the idea of all the gunk getting caught between the river stones, and then the netting, as you know axies make lots of mess.

I imagine that a great deal of the gunk that is drawn into the filter bed would not even make it into the gravel below.

from my own personal experience, I believe that external power filters are the way to go with axies, be it a hang on the back model for a smaller tank, or a pressurized canister filter.

if you're very DIY, perhaps consider a sump instead?

Could work if you can ensure that no food bits (bloodworm etc) get sucked in there to fester and every bit of poop is found and hoovered up quickly before it gets all gets pulled down. (I know undergravels are very good for biological filtration but I suspect even they would struggle to cope with the detritus that can be associated with axolotls)

I think it sounds great. Just becuase bits of gunk do get stuck in the filter doesn't mean its going to create poor water quality. If he is intending to plant the tank, all the food will break down into ammonia and be consumed by the plants. As long as you do proper maintance on an ugf I don't see a problem with it.

If you put small gravel in there, there is a chance an axie will ingest it - no matter how unlikely, there is a chance (someone will win the lotto this week, right?)

If you dont put small gravel in the tank, then there is zero chance of them ingesting it.

Just sayin'

Bren

If you put small gravel in there, there is a chance an axie will ingest it - no matter how unlikely, there is a chance (someone will win the lotto this week, right?)

If you dont put small gravel in the tank, then there is zero chance of them ingesting it.

Just sayin'

Bren

Alexx said he was going to have a fine mesh around the gravel part, so that shouldnt happen. Well, you never know until you give it a go! :cool:

I've set it the gravel layers today, got a good hide and some plants in too. When the water's cleared I'll take a picture to illustrate what I've done.

My local garden center's aquatic department has one juvi leucistic left, so hoping noone buys it before my tank's ready! They have loads of wilds though.

Any chance of some pictures?

Here's a pic of the tank, couldn't fit the whole width in the shot but yeah you get the idea!

Water is still a bit cloudy from the new rocks, I did rinse them but it should be clear by tomorrow.

You can see the layer of green mesh in the bottom left, the goldfish are going to have to say goodbye to the nice new log as they're going back in the pond when the axi arrives :D

Attachments

• P1010473.jpg
    P1010473.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 848
Interesting ... I have to confess I still have some reservations about all the bits of stuff that might get sucked in. Also, somewhere I remember reading that UGFs are bad for plants...
I will be thoroughly pleased to be proven wrong however :)

All the rocks ontop of the mesh layer are atleast 2inches, they may not look it but theyre quite large goldfish.. I made sure no rocks on the surface layer were smaller than an adult axi's head :D

Alexx said he was going to have a fine mesh around the gravel part, so that shouldnt happen. Well, you never know until you give it a go! :cool:

Yes, he said he was using mesh, and yes that probably means it is a million to one odds that any gravel will be ingested.

But the odds of winning the lotto is 45 million to one, and someone will win it this week, won't they? (if not this week, maybe next, or next month) Despite the high odds, it is almost guaranteed someone will win.

No gravel = absolutley zero odds of ingestion - guaranteed

Some gravel under mesh = million to one odds of ingestion perhaps, but still more chance than zero right? So despite the odds, i feel it is almost guaranteed there will be stray gravel.

Still just sayin' ,my opinion only, and opinions are like bums - we all have one, and they are all useful.

We are all free to make choices, my choice is no gravel in my axie tank no matter how safe it might appear to be.

bren

That's an interesting set up. I'm convinced the best way to use a u.g. filter is reverse flow with a supplemental filter for mechanical filtration. Extra siphoning can take the place of the supplemental filter.

I think that if you just put a sheet of mesh over your gravel that some gravel might escape through the axies shenanigans but if you would put the gravel in a sort of bag of mesh that is sown shut at all edges then there is little chance that any gravel may escape. The only problem I can see with that is if sharp gravel cuts through the mesh but that is still a lot saver than just simple layering.

Just my inexperienced two cents :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back