Shes hanging in there!

joj123

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I posted yesterday for help with Bessie who is very sick - thank you to MorphyRichards for all your help. For some reason my post disappeared and all of the advice had vanished : (
I thought Bessie had died this morning as she was motionless when I took her out of the fridge and I checked on her a number of times, rocking the tub. However I went to take her outside to bury her and thought her leg moved - she then swam around the pot :happy: - very relieved!
I changed her water to spring water and she was fine - although I put a bit more in and she went straight onto her back, so she is back to only just being covered again.
I tried feeding her a piece of worm but she wasnt interested and later on tried some scalded chicken (I know it isnt the best for them but she like it when I gave it too them once before so tried as desperate measures) but she still had no response - she moves slightly but then just ignores it. I have left the two bits in the tub with her incase she was scared and will it them when undistrurbed - is this the right thing to do or will they make the water bad? How long can she go without eating - bearing in mind she is already really skinny? Is there any other way of encouraging her to eat (I read about force feeding on here but she is too delicate for that).

As far as the big boys are concerned have changed the gravel to sand - they are now sulking back in the big tank - will give them a worm later.

Keeping fingers crossed for Bessie to get through another night.

Is she an adult?
Have you read the force feeding an axolotl sticky in the sick axolotls section?

Mel

We have had her since July - we bought her with a grey one and they were both about 8cm long, (dont know how old) so she is at least 6 months. The grey (Bug) is now about 20cm and quite chunky, but she has stayed tiny and very skinny although have always made sure I have seen her eat. (Also got another grey a month later and he has overtook her in size now too)
She had a leg missing when I got her so thought maybe her growing energy was put into replacing that??

When we removed her yesterday she had a leg missing again and the other looks broken - so I think they attacked her. Not sure whether it was because she was ill or whether the attack has made her ill.

As she is so delicate I dont think she would withstand force feeding (I did read the article yesterday) - I have put some pics in my album if you would like to have a look - she is not looking too good :(

Thanks Jo

Sending good vibes your way. I hope she gets better soon.

Thanks Mekkha - she is still with us although still not eating - keep putting a couple of frozen blood worm in with her but she is just not interested - hope she can hold out without food until she heals a bit and will start eating again. Did consider force feeding her again today but I think it will just finish her off as she is so delicate and tiny.
Keep those vibes coming

When we removed her yesterday she had a leg missing again and the other looks broken - so I think they attacked her. Not sure whether it was because she was ill or whether the attack has made her ill.

If they're quite different in size I wouldn't keep them together since the biting at limbs will only continue. The attack probably weakened her and if she was already ill it couldn't have helped - I don't think an axie would attack another because it was sick - it was probably an over eager axie thinking it was a tasty snack!
I hope she makes it through :(

Could you post a picture of Bessie? Or describe her coloration? I wonder if she isn't axanthic, which usually aren't as hardy as other color types.

Thank you for all your advice and good wishes but Bessie died today.
Her picture is in my album Kaysie if you could take a look (sorry dont know how to put it on a post) as I would like to know why she remained so small when the other 2 have grown so much and if I could have done anything differently.
x

i'm so sorry for your looses.

but at least she had a good owner that cared about her.

Sorry to hear of your sad loss, RIP Bessie x

Oh no :( I'm so sorry to hear about Bessie, you tried so hard.

Could you post a picture of Bessie? Or describe her coloration? I wonder if she isn't axanthic, which usually aren't as hardy as other color types.

Kaysie, is there a definitive way to identify axanthic axies?

RIP Bessie.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back