Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Growing babies into a large tank

JessKB

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
First off I would like to say thank you to the forum. I've been lurking here for a while learning about axolotls and I must say there is tons of information here! I am new to axolotls but experienced in fish (mostly puffers) so I know about cycling and am sure I can set up a tank easily with what I have around the house for some axolotls.

I plan on getting a pair of juveniles hopefully and this is where my dilemma comes in. I have an extra 50 gallon tank that will be their eventual home. However, I know that I shouldn't place small axies (2 inch) in a large tank like that. The only other one I have currently is a 10gallon that I planned on keeping them in until they get big enough to place in the large tank. So my question is (sorry I'm a rambler): is it realistic to keep two juvenile axolotls together in the small tank until they reach the size where they will be ok in the large tank? Would it be ok to put them in the large tank already? If it's not, I'll just get one baby instead of two but I would love a pair.

Thanks in advance,
Jess

JessKB

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback Eric. The 50 gallon is not set up, and is in storage so I would prefer to use the ten gallon while I set up the 50 and make it into my dream tank. Would that work? If that's not enough room then I will pull out the 50 and set her up. I want whats best for the animals I purchase.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
2 inch juveniles will outgrow a 10 gallon pretty quickly. They can grow an inch a month!

You can put them in the 10 temporarily, but I would get the 50 out and start getting it set up.

carsona246

Reaction score
juveniles are more prone to cannibalism. I have a larvae in a ten gallon right now who is currently growing his back legs and a ten gallon is more than enough space for him. I also have a 4-5 inch juvenile that used to be in the ten gallon that I moved to my 40 breeder. The 4-5 inch one could easily have stayed in the ten gallon, but does just fine in my 40 breeder, which I think has the same footprint as a 50. If they're really small when you first get them a ten gallon would probably work just fine for a few months as a growout tank, just make sure to watch the nipping. I beleive my larvae is about 2 inches, and I could easily divide the tank in half and put another one in there and they would both have enough room until they got big enough for the 50.

JessKB

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess I will just divide the ten while I set up the other tank (which I'll start doing this weekend) and have them moved in after they gain an inch or so. I'm really excited for the 50 and plan on making it an axolotl dream home :D So now I just have to decide....slate or sand?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1