Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: How many ?

Xoxo

Reaction score
Hi everyone !

In Europe, the most people say that we have to keep min. two axolotls together, and some others say that we can keep an axolotl alone forever and that he doesn't need company.

What do you think and why exactly ?

Thank you for your answers :happy:

zoezakella

Reaction score
Axies can live on their own quite happily but in my opinion more is better lol I could not pick just one colour so got 3 :happy:

siona

Reaction score
I don't see why you can't keep one by itself. They're not social animals. That said, I wanted 2 because my tank would have looked a bit lonely with just 1. I think it's down to you - what you want and what you have room for

smily sam

Reaction score
you can ceep one on its own or two but if you get two and they turn out to be boy and girl and then you may find one day that have you eggs in the tank so im not saying don't get two but if you don't want eggs than iver get two of the same gender or one if you cant tell if there boy or girl. On the other hand if you do want to breed your axolotls getting two of the other gender would increase your chances of having eggs by about 100% unless the axolotl you buy is already pregnunt.:happy:

RobM

Reaction score
I believe it is law in Switzerland to have a minimum of two, of certain types of animals. For example you are not allowed to keep a rabbit on its own.
I do not know the full extent of this or whether this is only for social animals, but you probably should contact your local commune for clarification.

Xoxo

Reaction score
I believe it is law in Switzerland to have a minimum of two, of certain types of animals. For example you are not allowed to keep a rabbit on its own.
I do not know the full extent of this or whether this is only for social animals, but you probably should contact your local commune for clarification.

Yes, thanks, I'm aware of that ;)
It's true for a lot of species, but not for the axolotls ;) The law says one it's fine. ;)
The law says how big the aquarium should be too ;)

siona

Reaction score
So it's illegal in Switzerland to keep one rabbit???

RobM

Reaction score
So it's illegal in Switzerland to keep one rabbit???
As in one on its own. You could keep two or more. Its a law applied to all kinds of animals that are social/live in groups. I think it may also apply to fish, as a lot live in groups.

Xoxo

Reaction score
just out of interest, how big does the law say the aquarium should be?

It depends of the size of the axolotl ;)

We did an automat on this page :
Choisir son aquarium
under " tableau estimatif pour les densités de population" you can give the size of each axolotl to know the size of the aquarium ;)

axolotlfriend

Reaction score

very interesting law. i didn't know that

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1