Weird creature in with my red cherries

mroli123

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a tank with red cherry and a couple of bumble bee shrimp in and have had a lull of babies recently (I moved tanks which I think is the reason!) but I was checking for babies the other night and came across this weird creature lurking under some stones, I managed to catch it and have a look and it seemed shrimp like (ish) however I did some research online and I think it was a damsell fly larve/nympth?!

Are these dangerous to shrimp?! Would it eat all of my babies? I guess it came in on one of the moss balls I added from my cold water axolotl tank to the warm water shrimp tank?
I fed it too my axolotl in the end, better to be safe than sorry!

Has anyone else come across anything like this before?!

Yeah it looks the same, but the one in my tank had 3 tail bits! Damn I wish I could of found it sooner! I had a quick look for others but they are pretty hard to spot! Is there a way of making sure that they have all gone?! I have no idea if this is rare or often happens?!

Hello,

well it happens not often but from time to time you hear someone find this larvaes in fishtanks. It cames with live food or with plants. There is usually not many of them. They are larvaes so they do not breed :) just accidentally make it to your tank somehow :).
In fact they are interesting creatures and you can easly keep them in a jar of water to maturity. Just add something (plant or stick) that is going out of water so it will be able to transform to mature dragonfly :).

I wish I would of kept it now, but it made a nice snack for my axolotl! It did well to survive for that long, I had a moss ball in with my axolotl for about 7 months (in a cold water tank) but I moved it a couple of weeks ago to my warm red cherry shrimp tank and it must of triggered it into action!

Thanks for your help!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back