Hydro Filter

Travis

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Would this be good for my axolotl?

rk80ue.jpg

I had a filter like that once, I used it in my window ledge swampy tank where I keep "stuff" like scuds, snails, grow elodea in etc. I ended up cannibalising it to make my own "improved", smaller version of a sponge filter.

I think you should check the size of your tank and check; on the box it should say somewhere how many litres / gallons it can be used with. Airflow into it from your air pump is also quite important.

Sponge filters are very effective, and nice and simple, but you do need to check the box or leaflet in the box or whatever.

It's a sponge filter. Pros and cons are considered on this page:
Caudata Culture Articles - Filters

In my opinion, it's not the best filter for an axie tank, due to the large amount of waste they produce. But if you don't mind spending the time to siphon the tank often, it would work.

It's a sponge filter. Pros and cons are considered on this page:
Caudata Culture Articles - Filters

In my opinion, it's not the best filter for an axie tank, due to the large amount of waste they produce. But if you don't mind spending the time to siphon the tank often, it would work.

I've noticed that it's not very good.

Would this one be good for him?

Rapids Mini Canister C 80

Mini canister filter.

Pros:
Provides excellent mechanical, chemical, and biological filtration.
Quiet.

Cons:
Appropriate for small to medium sized tanks only. (The tubing provided with the ZooMed 501 is only long enough to reach into a tank up to 12 inches tall.)
Requires two fat tubes going into the tank (difficult if you have a screen top).
Requires tabletop space immediately behind (or beside) the tank.

Comments: Excellent filtration for small tanks.

What size tank are you using it for? I saw it had an 80 gph rating which might be considered high flow for an axolotl on a smaller tank. If you put it on a 40 breeder it would be just fine, on a twenty you might want a spraybar. My filter is supposed to have 220 gph on a 40 breeder, and I cram it with filter media, and have a huge spraybar, and it just works. I'm still thinking about making a better way to slow the current.

What size tank are you using it for? I saw it had an 80 gph rating which might be considered high flow for an axolotl on a smaller tank. If you put it on a 40 breeder it would be just fine, on a twenty you might want a spraybar. My filter is supposed to have 220 gph on a 40 breeder, and I cram it with filter media, and have a huge spraybar, and it just works. I'm still thinking about making a better way to slow the current.

Hey there,

It's a 10g tank.

thats 8x the turnover rate and might be a bit much on a ten gallon. are you planning on upgrading? Putting it on a twenty gallon might be fine, are you planning on upgrading?

thats 8x the turnover rate and might be a bit much on a ten gallon. are you planning on upgrading? Putting it on a twenty gallon might be fine, are you planning on upgrading?

Hey there,

Yes, I am planning to upgrade to a 20g tank. I'm sure it will be fine on that.

Also I would like to use this as a substrate,

Super Naturals Moonlight Sand Substrate

Is sand good for axolotls? can It harm them?

Sand or barebottom is best for axolotls, idk if you've seen any of the threads around about axolotl's eating gravel, but don't use gravel in your tank. This is just regular pure white sand right? It should work just fine for your axolotl. Playsand also works for axolotl's, and its really cheap. Mine isn't pure white, but it's a lighter sand and I think it costed me like $5.

Sand or barebottom is best for axolotls, idk if you've seen any of the threads around about axolotl's eating gravel, but don't use gravel in your tank. This is just regular pure white sand right? It should work just fine for your axolotl. Playsand also works for axolotl's, and its really cheap. Mine isn't pure white, but it's a lighter sand and I think it costed me like $5.

Yeah, I know not to use gravel. The fish store used gravel and he's already pooped out around 20 gravels. He's doing good though.

It's pure white sand with nothing added to it, pH, etc. I think i'll get the white stuff.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back