Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ill or ok?

CheechWizard

Reaction score
:confused:

I've had my axolotls about 6 months now,one wild and one leucistic both are 13 cm in length now...i'm not sure how old they were when i got them but they seem to have beefed up in size and are generally ok.

Their names are Vida (leucistic) and Muerte (wild type)

I have not been able to sex them, they seem to get on fine, occasional nips at each other at feeding time but nothing too dramatic...

Recently i've noticed that Vida has a slighlty swollen cloaca, i'm hoping this isn't some kind of prolapse ( i've seen those threads..Yowch!)...i've got them on sand at the moment so maybe she/he has ingested some and become a little backed up...tail was initially blushed aswell but that seems to have calmed down...

Not really sure whats going on...Help..i don't want a prolapse horror story...

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Vida is probably a male, and is reaching sexual maturity. Some start earlier than others.

If you could post a picture of Vida from the side, with the cloaca visible, it would be very helpful!

CheechWizard

Reaction score
Thankyou...i don't have a camera at the moment, il try and use my phone camera.

I did have my suspicions...

CheechWizard

Reaction score
Ok, well that felt quite obtrusive...in my attempts to take photos with my crappy 2megapixel phone camera i managed to get a better look...just realised i have nowhere to host pictures, il upload them to my album on here instead...

Definite change in size of cloaca,it is now larger and elongated with divide down centre...Male?

:D

Sorry to be a pain just freaked myself out a little, thanks for your help!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I had a look. Looks like a normal male cloaca. But keep an eye on it and make sure it isn't getting too big or protruding, which could be a sign of a prolapse.

CheechWizard

Reaction score
Thanks Kaysie...

I'l upload some better pictures when i can get my hands on a camera, i'm hoping my wild type is female...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1