Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Problems with my little one

daremo

Reaction score
Hi!

I went on holidays for 10 days and left my two axies with a friend... when I came back I found a dead earthworm in my small axie's tank, probably dead for more than a day...

the axies share a big tank divided

also the little one is refusing to eat, he used to eat eagerly and now he spits back the worms!!
yesterday I gave him 4 reptomin sticks, that he ate without problems, because I didn't know how long he was off food, but today he seems like a little bloated, like fat...

should I do something, or let him be and see if he poops?
he's also very quiet...

daremo

Reaction score
pictures of said axolotls and tank would be helpful, as would water chemistry.

I hope its nothing too serious.

ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 12.5 mg/l

PH 7.5

temp 22 C

my older axie is doing fine...

he's also pointing his gills forward, and he never does... :'(

Attachments

• IMG_0516.resized.JPG
    IMG_0516.resized.JPG
    232.8 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0514.resized.JPG
    IMG_0514.resized.JPG
    272.8 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0506.resized.JPG
    IMG_0506.resized.JPG
    288 KB · Views: 135

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Sometimes axolotls get picky, and start refusing a type of food. Try offering different kinds of worms, or even reptomin sticks in a pinch. Anything to get him eating again.

Your tank is a little warm. Is there any way you can cool it? Also, what kind of filtration do you have? Is there a lot of flow in your tank?

Last edited:

daremo

Reaction score
hi, thanks!!

actually my tank is always at 22 in summer, with A/C on all the time... there's no way to get it cooler really... and it hasn't been a problem at all so far (I have a golden since 1 year and she seems happy and normal...)
there's no flow, the tank has a HOB filter with a sponge to diffuse the flow, but the filter is in the other side (the tank is divided with an acrylic so my two axies are separated, the filter is on the bigger side where the older golden lives) and where the little one lives there's an air pump (another one in the other side)

he was always very active and eating a lot, I left and when I came back he was refusing the worms... I am trying to get regular earthworms to try (he usually gets red wrigglers), he's eating reptomin but I think I gave him too many (4 sticks yesterday) and now he's like that ... :'(

zoezakella

Reaction score
Hope your axie picks up soon Daremo sorry I cant offer any advice other than to keep trying with the food x

daremo

Reaction score
thanks Zoe!!

I just came home and he was swimming... now he's like resting on a plant
I don't see that he had pooped so I will wait until tomorrow to feed him again I guess...

I also gave my other axie a worm and she ate it happily so it's not the worms that are bad...

I'll keep you guys updated, thanks for your help!

daremo

Reaction score
he's eating reptomin sticks
swimming and acting quite normal...

tomorrow I will try regular earthworms (I usually feed them red wrigglers) and see how it goes...

daremo

Reaction score
good news!! he ate a little earthworm (regular one)

could he have gotten picky about his food??

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!