Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Pls. sexing my 3 Pachytriton labiatus.

lerdchai

Reaction score
Pls sexing my 3 Pachytriton labiatusnewt,I think 1st and 3 th are male,2nd is female,and I'ld like to know,are they shown sigh in breeding condition now?

newt1.jpg

newt2.jpg

3newt.jpg

3newt1.jpg

Lusiwarrior

Reaction score
Hi lerdchai,
these are not the best pictures to watch.
At the time of reproduction the colac of males gets bigger.
Males have 2 / 3 white spots on the tail, this is really the best way to sex them.

cheers

lerdchai

Reaction score
Thanks a lot,Do his white spots show his breeding condition?

Chamaeleo

Reaction score
Hi lerdchai!
The first is a male, the second and the third are females. The white spots can be seen not only in the breeding season. In addition, the males often have wider, flatter toes than females.

Last edited:

lerdchai

Reaction score
Many Thanks Chamaeleo,
My male does very aggressive,he always bite other newts as soon as keep together in same tank.If I want to breed them,How do I introduce female to my aggressive male? introduce male to female's tank or introduce female to male 's tank,now I kept them separate each tank.

Chamaeleo

Reaction score
When I had a male too, I tried both ways:
If the female was introduced to the male's tank, the male started his courtship but the female was frightened from him and tried to swim away.
If the male was introduced to the female's tank, the female was aggressive to the male.
So I think it' up to you which way you do, but when you do, you should always watch them to avoid injuries.
Or in case you keep them together, every newt must have an own refuge.

lerdchai

Reaction score
Today i put male to female's tank [temp 17.5 degree c / with 60% humid],male start wave his tail as soon as met female,but the female run around the tank,she seem does not interested to him,and he still follow her with wave his tail,he has not shown aggressive to her.Let me ask question.How long do I need to put them together?

Last edited:

Chamaeleo

Reaction score
I'm sorry that I'm answering only now, I hope it's not too late. I think you can keep them together until they are not aggressive to each other, but the female gets used to the new environment. If the female doesn't want to accept the male, you'd better to try it again about a week later.

lerdchai

Reaction score
Thxs Chamaeleo,I introduce male to female's tank again [2nd time] last 2 days,for this time female seem shown aggraessive and bite on his body on 1st day,but after that she calm down,and donot show aggressive more either male and female.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1