Tank enrichment

Jzehr125

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Ailin
I'm currently in the process of getting my first axolotl, and right now I'm working on obtaining supplies for the tank. I've got the tank, a filter, fine sand, two plants, and a fake driftwood piece that forms a cave/tunnel.

Other than what I already have, do you have any suggestions for making the tank into an interesting/engaging environment for the axolotl? What have you found that your axies like? I noticed in some images, it seemed like there was a weighted ping-pong ball in the the tank. Do axies like/play with them? I don't want to have my tank cluttered and full of decorations, but I would like to make the environment interesting for my future axie.

Thanks!

If you make a small hole in a ping pong ball and then let it fill with water it will sink to the bottom :happy: Some peoples axies seem to play with them. Others have sourced mossballs which their guys love but I've never seen any myself.

Some people simply have lots of plants for their axies to walk/swim around and through or just hang out in.

Some Axies also seem to LOVE bubbles. A small airstone (with air pump) will fill the bill but that said my adult axies are scared of bubbles :rolleyes:

My big guys love hanging in the plants and chilling in their hides. They aren't much into playing.
My juvie likes to dig, chill in his hides and just walk around his tank and sit in his plants. He also comes up to the corner of the tank when I'm sitting in my chair and talk to me :rofl:

I would suggest maybe adding a 2nd hide to your tank if nothing else so he/she has a choice. I have 2 hides per axie in each of my tanks and they all use all of them at different times of the day :happy:
Entertaining axies seems to be more trial and error than anything so if you add something and your axie ignores it then take it out and try something else :happy:

You will also need to get some water testers. Drop form is the type. You will need to start cycling your tank before you get your new little friend :)

The tank's in the process of cycling now. :) What kind of testers do you recommend? Do normal aquarium test kits work? I'm assuming by drop form, you mean that the test uses liquid rather than strips to determine the levels?

Yes the drop form is much more accurate :)
The brand that is generally used is called API.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back