Tank setup advice?

DeCypher

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Austin
I am getting all ready for my juvenile leucistic Axolotl, which will be here in a week. I am probably stressing out about this tank more than I should, but I want to do a good job with this. I've got a water Wisteria and a Giant Hygrophila in there, along with a couple small rocks. I got a Duetto 100 filter going, and the tank is all cycled. The tank is bare-bottomed.

~Any good ideas for little hiding spots for the Axie?

~Any tips on making a good setup? (I looked at all the aquatic setups on Caudata Culture and I just don't understand how you can make it look so beautiful, yet keep it so clean!)

Small rocks? How small? Keep in mind that if the rock is not larger than the axie's head, he could attempt to swallow it.

Hides - I use pvc pipes camouflaged by fake plants. Some put silicone on these pipes and roll them in sand too. Fake logs or caves found online or in most aquatic/reptile sections of pet shops are nice too. Just make sure whatever you choose to use does not have any jagged edges.

You mentioned having plants - if these plants are in pots, you may want to check them for plant fertilizer in the packing - this can damage your water chemistry and potentially your axolotl.

Spot cleaning at least semi daily with weekly vacuuming keeps a tank looking pretty decent. Check out some members' albums on their profile pages to get more ideas...

Good luck! Of course, we all look forward to seeing your pics! :D

The rocks are not small enough to be ingested. I am unsure about the plants and whether they use fertilizer or not. When I bought them, they had the plants with a group of fish and the fish looked alright. I will most certainly check out some photo albums.

~I will post pics once I get it all set up~

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back