Question: Anyone else having tank temperature problems in Winter??

zoezakella

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Zoe
Hello all,

Ok this post is just for curiosity really but I have always had a temp problem with my axies water despite trying a few things and was relieved when it was winter as even with the heating on tank temp was good so I have now upgraded to a 4ft tank but litres wise it is a bit less than my 3ft tank as that was tall whereas this is nice and long but I have noticed tank is sitting at 22 which really worries me a) because its too hot for my axies b) if its this hot now I am screwed in the summer :(
I blame the double glazing and loft insulation for our hot house!!

So here we are in January with my fan already on, seriously!!! its taken it down to 20 which is copeable but I really am fretting about the summer!

I also changed from an external Fluval 105 to a internal Fluval U3 but this has made no difference in temp as I checked and other than that I removed an airstone but not sure that made much difference.

So is any of you guys also having this problem at this time of year??

I purchased a chiller quite a few months ago but could not work out for the life of me how to set the thing up and also with my new tank it is now on my sideboard so nowehere to stick the chiller, oh my!

Anyway for those of you who have not fallen asleep thanks for reading and as I say just curios to know if anyone else has a hot house lol :happy:

What's the temp in the room (air)? What kind of lid and fan do you have?

I would encourage you to do some careful temperature experiments. Try going for two days with no filter, just an airstone. Don't change anything else. I'll bet you can bring it down 1-2 degrees C.

Thanks for that Jennewt, ok I have mesh as a lid so the tank can breath and I use one of those clip on fans which does the job.

This is my tank set up. I only have the light on for about 4 hours in the evening and thats a small 15w bulb (bulb in piccy was for piccies only).

Ok now this probably sounds stupid but had not really thought about room temp and interestingly its a cold wet day and temp this morning is 24 nearly 25 in my lounge so guessing that is why my tank sits between 21 & 22 then :(

Thanks for your comments and help appreciate it.

zoezakella-albums-new-4ft-tank-picture13959-new-axie-tank-014.jpg

Last edited:
Consider whatever options you may have for moving the tank to a cooler part of the house.

Perhaps if you post the name and type of the chiller and some more details some of our members might be able to help you get it working. Seems a shame to have spent all that money.

I had the same problem! I've taken to having a fan on, my window open, and turning the radiator in my room down! It seems to have worked.

I hope you manage to get your chiller working soon and if not that the temp is okay for them regardless! =]

Thanks Steve & Ersz glad I am not the only one.

Steve its a Delta DC 750 Chiller but I really have no idea where I would put it now that my axies are on the sideboard as before they were on a cabinet. the chiller is huge and also apparently you have to use an air pump to get it to work so I have no idea on noise levels?? Would be good to set it up to see how noisy it was but have now also just been told they have to be serviced once a year aswell, when did it all get so complicated lol!

Thanks so much for your help & Jennwt I have no where else that is cooler in our house, upstairs is even hotter.

Thanks guys

I know this sounds obvious but have you tried turning your central-heating thermostat down by a couple of degrees?
You probably won't notice the difference yourself, but if the ambient air temperature is slightly lower, then this will keep the tank's temperature slightly lower also.
This would also lead to smaller heating bills and smaller carbon-footprint, which has to be good!
Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but that would be first on my list of things to try...... (says Ken, with no central-heating/double-glazing lol)

Hi Ken,

Thanks so much funnily enough our thermostat is broken at the moment but I always appreciate any advice even if obvious BUT sadly this is temperature of our house with NO HEATING on :( Again no heating today and the same and tank is at 21, as I say hot hot house typical!!

Thanks for your help :D

In my cool tank room (which happens to be my bedroom) I leave the window open, all the time when I'm in, the radiator is off, and the room is isolated from the rest of the house. and the axolotl tank is sitting at 12C the newt tank - of less water volume - is sitting at 16C.

Usually good airflow around the room will drop a tank by a few degrees. which might make it abit safer for you, I can't imagine a house in the Uk being warm XD mine's 9C most days around now.

thanks for that Crysta, and believe you me my house is that warm I really do blame the double glazing and the newly put in loft insulation :( Sadly unless its the summer I cant leave my windows open as my human babies might get a bit chilly but great idea if they are in your bedroom :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back