Filter-less cycling?

axolotlfriend

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I got access to an old tank but I don’t have a filter yet. I’ve read a few articles on cycling and its importance. From what I’ve read it is not fully necessary to have a filter in an axie setup, but not having one will require you to change the water more frequently. This is all fine with me, my only question is how do you initially setup the water in the tank so that it is suitable for your animal. I’m also thinking of getting an airstone or plant to make sure that the oxygen levels are okay.

First, never trust anyone who says 'like' that much.

Second, it's bunk. Chloramines do NOT evaporate, nor do other 'chemicals' like heavy metals. Chlorine will evaporate, but not in the form of chloramine. That's what dechlorinators do: they break the chloramine into chlorine and ammonia (amine). Then the chlorine evaporates, and the ammonia is dealt with through the cycle in your tank.

Last edited:
I'm a little confused, that link was for dechlorinating water, which has nothing to do with cycling. You should dechlorinate your water regardless. Cycling will also happen regardless, but it is best to cycle your tank before you add your axoltol's. You do not need a filter, the bacteria will live in the substrate as well

First, never trust anyone who says 'like' that much.

Second, it's bunk. Chloramines do NOT evaporate, nor do other 'chemicals' like heavy metals. Chlorine will evaporate, but not in the form of chloramine. That's what dechlorinators do: they break the chloramine into chlorine and ammonia (amine). Then the chlorine evaporates, and the ammonia is dealt with through the cycle in your tank.

Thanks that’s what I thought.

I'm a little confused, that link was for dechlorinating water, which has nothing to do with cycling. You should dechlorinate your water regardless. Cycling will also happen regardless, but it is best to cycle your tank before you add your axoltol's. You do not need a filter, the bacteria will live in the substrate as well

I’m sorry, I now realize that it is a bit of a confusing title. I basically was asking how could you should setup your water if you don’t have a filter.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back