Illness/Sickness: Use of "Tricide Neo"

shanazzle47

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi, my axolotl has mouth rot and my vet, who has not treated axolotls, recommended using a bath of Tricide Neo. Has anyone ever used this with good results on axolotls before? I could not find any record of it's use in amphibians and am quite worried, as many fish antibiotics are lethal to amphibians

Heya,

No experience with using this whatsoever but thought you might find this useful.

Finfish Infectious Diseases - WSAVA2002

It seems that Tricide neo is mixed with an antibiotic of the Vets choosing. What the Tricide neo does is put holes in the bacterial cell wall which allow the antibiotics to enter and do their thing. I'll keep looking to see if I can find a patent or paper that describes it's mode of action better.

Edit: found some papers, basically Tricide Neo is a chelating agent (8 mM United States Pharmacopeia (USP) disodium ethylenediaminetetraacetate dehydrate or EDTA-Tris) along with a buffer (20 mM USP 2-amino-2-hydroxymethyl-1,3-propanediol).

Papers:

http://www.int-res.com/articles/dao2004/59/d059p263.pdf
Action of EDTA-Tris and antimicrobial agent combin... [Vet Microbiol. 1983] - PubMed result (not sure if your vet has access to pubmed)
http://www.int-res.com/articles/dao2004/59/d059p263.pdf

It seems the danger to your axolotl comes down to Antibiotic choice but please discuss this with your vet.

Hope this helps,

-D-

Hey again,

Just read that back to myself and realised it might be a bit confusing, basically Tricide neo is not an antibiotic. It's a solution that you add the appropriate antibiotic to and the Tricide helps the antibiotic work better.

At the bottom of the page at the below link is a short list of good and bad compounds.

Axolotls - Health & Diseases

Again, please discuss with your vet.

Cheers,

-D-

thank you for your reply!
I was under the impression that tricide neo contained the antibiotic neomycin.
looking that up, it seems people have used neomycin on axolotls before. I just am always hesitant to try something new with amphibians. hopefully it will be okay

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back