Illness/Sickness: Fire belly newt Sick

mslrtpnc

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I believe the species of newt we have is cynpos orientalis (sorry for the wrong name in the title).

We have had Cera for 14+ years. This past month, we have noticed a sore that has developed over the back left hip area. This wound has progressed and has rendered the back leg useless. (I have tried to take a picture of this wound -- I will post a better photo later)

To compound the problem, she has stopped eating as well. She has always been on a diet of meal worms or live crickets.

Of course our main concern is the quality of life. I don't know the life expectancy of a newt -- I would think 14 years is getting up there.

Does anyone have an opinion on the sore -- a way to treat it -- and should we consider force feeding her?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0708.jpg
    IMG_0708.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 1,081
Last edited:
Re: Orange bellied Taricha Sick

Yes, 14 years is getting up there, although there are records of longer. Since the newt was wild-caught to begin with, its actual age could be much older. The diet isn't really what's recommended, it lacks any source of calcium, but if it worked for 14 years I won't knock it.

Force feeding is tricky. If it's done poorly, there is risk of injury. I wouldn't recommend it without assistance and equipment from a vet.

You could attempt to treat with antibiotic ointment or solutions. Various options outlined:
Caudata Culture Articles - Illness Part 1
A vet could swab to try to identify the infection and treat accordingly. Without that, you're just taking a shot in the dark.

Re: Orange bellied Taricha Sick

I changed the name of this thread to accurately reflect the species.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back