Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Bit of help needed.

shells

Reaction score
Hi,
I will be moving house in the next couple of months and wondering the best process to move my 2 axies and set their tank back up. I should have the facility to move most if not all the water currently in their tank, not sure if I will be able to move them in their tank comfortably.

Blaze

Reaction score
Hay Shells, I to am moving in the next couple of months form Queensland to NSW and have been thinking about it for a while now.
I am going to purchase one of those fridges that go in your car and plug into the cig lighter. I am going to turn it on and set the temp then put Sunny in a bag of water and sit it in there securely. I can't transfer the water so I am emptying the tank. Putting the plants in bags of water and the sand in large containers. Put the tank in the car and move like that.

I think this would be the best way to move the Axies in a safe, dark, cool environment.

Blaze.

carsona246

Reaction score
just in case your not aware the majority of the beneficial bacteria is on the substrate/filter and not in the water. if you just feel more comfortable bringing the old water that works, but as long as its the same temperature and you acclimate your axolotl it won't matter if it's new water or old water. On a side note make sure to keep your filter pads wet and your substrate at least a little damp.

shells

Reaction score
Thanks Carson feel alot more at ease now.
Blaze, good luck with your move, thats quite a big one. Let me know how it goes...

Blaze

Reaction score
Thanks Shells. It certainly is but Sunnys laidback nature will make it easy. I also have two dogs, three rats and two horses to move as well. Will be a big one!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1