Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: I really need help with my axie!

Sweetbird

Reaction score
so, this is what happened, I have 2 axies 1 brown and 1 white and around 3 months ago ,the brown axie started to acting weird. ate less and didn't want to move around as much as before.so my pet shop told me to fridge him cause he had an infection. so i did . got worse!. he stopped eating around Christmas's. and then my other axie attacked the brown one, hes tail tip got bitten of :( and 3 legs got injured. one i could see the bone in hes leg!. so now he gets salt baths for the infections! but hes still not eating(he ate like 3 blood worms ,1week ago). i have him in another tank now with nothing in it.and i haven't seen him poop in .... a long time. don't even remember when it was! i tried give him blood worms, black worms , and shrimps . and he just backs away from the food! and hes floating at the top of hes tank 3 times a day! when i touch him he sinks? and he cant swim , when he tries he will end up like a little ball, rolling around the tank.:eek: (don't know how to explain) . but i know that i need some help figuring out whats wrong with him! soooo please help me!
thank you!

Danicus12

Reaction score
Hey,

2 things

1. Do you have gravel? I've had an Axolotl die this morning due to swallowing gravel.

2. Water chemistry - pH? Ammonia? Nitrite? Nitrate? Hardness? Temperature? How often and how much do you change the water (example: 25% every week)

hes floating at the top of hes tank 3 times a day! when i touch him he sinks? and he cant swim , when he tries he will end up like a little ball, rolling around the tank

This sounds like what mine was doing before I put her in the fridge. If you have gravel and you can do it without harming the animal, gently check the body and tail for hardness. I found a stone above and behind the back legs after my Axolotl had died.

Good luck,

-D-

Sweetbird

Reaction score
Hi! The tank is clean and there is no gravel I the tank. I used to have gravel but that was like 6 months ago . So everything he eat past the natural way. The body is fine, Feels like my other axie. Haven't check the ph , ammonia or nitrite .I am going to buy some tests tomorrow . The temp is fine to . I change the water every week , about 25 % . but now I change it everyday when he gets his daily salt bath. He stays in a 2,5-3 liter plastic tank at the time but just Untill he recovers. he actually poo this morning :) (not much) but he haven't eaten that much in a long time:-(

Animallover

Reaction score
Hey sorry to hear about your axolotl! i hope he gets better soon and it sounds like your doing a great job looking after him.
Now im no expert but one thing i have learnt is axies tend to get along better if they are in large tanks. So the smaller the tank the more agressive they get towards each other. What size is your other tank that you had them both in?

Good luck with everything, and keep us updated with how he goes. :happy:
Animallover

Sweetbird

Reaction score
I have them both in a 60 liter tank . They allways seem pretty happy together , sitting on top of each other in the bottom of the tank :) I really hope he gets better

Sweetbird

Reaction score
So i think my axie is doing better. He pooped everyday. But just a little bit . And that I can understand because he's still not eating :-/ . He's started to swim around a bit. And now I have him in the window where it's sun and he enjoys it :) so I hope he will eat something to day . And noe he breaths under the water and don't have to swim up to get some air :) so maybe he will make it after all! :D

Sweetbird

Reaction score
My Axie died last night ;-( found him at the bottom of the tank his mouth was wide open. But i know his better of now . He hadn't eaten sence Christmas :-/ so we had a little cermoni for him to day . R.I.P little Grisen....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1