Hiding space ideas?

DeCypher

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Austin
I need to set up a hiding space fast. I have no more money left, so I have to get creative. What can I use to make a hiding space for a 3-4 inch juvenile Axolotl?

Red plastic solo-cups, cut in half, length wise. I used to use tons of them. My A. jeffersonianum tank still has one.

I think i bought a big pvc pipe connector for like 2 bucks at lowes, I'm using that until i get my hand on some slate

Buy a coconut.

Cut it in half.

Eat/drink the nice bits (ooh! Thai curry?)

Cut out an 'entrance' in both halves.

Boil and let cool.

Eat more curry.

Introduce new 'hides' to tank.

Take heart-burn tablet.

Watch caudates enjoy their new little den.

:happy: :happy: :happy:

Last edited:
I used a 6" PVC pipe cut in half for one of my tanks, works just fine IMO.

A small plastic coffee container cut in half.

Attachments

• 1-1 019SM.JPG
    1-1 019SM.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 208
Eat more curry.

:happy: :happy: :happy:

that'll do me.

on a similar note - last christmas I bought my other half a beautiful Udu - which the courier managed to destroy in transit. I managed to get a replacement Udu - but was left with a box full of broken bits - some of which would be AMAZING hides.

The Udu itself appears to be terra cotta - but there is a brownish glaze on one side. I haven't put the pieces in the tank in case they leach something unpleasant into the water - but does anyone know of a way of soaking pottery and testing the water to see if it would be ok for axies?

If not, I'll just HAVE to get some geckos so I have a use for these pieces!

Thank you all for the creative ideas! :D

...a beautiful Udu - which the courier managed to destroy in transit. I managed to get a replacement Udu - but was left with a box full of broken bits - some of which would be AMAZING hides.

The Udu itself appears to be terra cotta - but there is a brownish glaze on one side. I haven't put the pieces in the tank in case they leach something unpleasant into the water - but does anyone know of a way of soaking pottery and testing the water to see if it would be ok for axies?
Interesting post, mewsie! :happy:
I wasn't familiar with an Udu until today when I googled/youtubed it after reading your post! Thanks!

If you were to have a bucket of treated tap water sitting next to a bucket of the same but with a few pieces of the udu in it, and kept an eye over the pH values for a week or two, maybe even at slightly higher temperatures than an axie could handle, any difference in pH readings would be unlikely but of possible concern.

However, if it is terra-cotta ('baked-earth' in Italian) which seems highly likely, you'll be fine, I'm sure.
Be sure to take off any sharp edges with sand-paper,though.

Take care :happy: KW

Interesting post, mewsie! :happy:
I wasn't familiar with an Udu until today when I googled/youtubed it after reading your post!

Thanks, KW!

Udus are wonderful things - you need to be in the same room as one to appreciate the velvety bass notes it produces, quite something!

Thanks for the reply re: the hides, too! What I was concerned about was potentially metals being in this glaze - not having turned up to most of my chemistry lessons at school, will the presence of metals in the water have an effect on the pH?

:p I know how that is. :grin:

lol - it's going to happen eventually, despite the protests from my other half ;) My bro has some Leopard Geckos, and they are incredible! I was surprised and fascinated by how plastic they felt (as opposed to axolotls, which we all know are made of marshmallow)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back