Question: They 'replace' the sand

Morrison

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I have sand in both of my axie tanks and when everything is 'lined up perfectly' a few days later the sand in the corners of the tanks is gone. Somehow... my axies replace the sand and leave those corners 'sandless'...

Is there a reason why they do that? Just curious... (They also like to move the PVC pipe all around the tank but that's okay to me :) as long as they don't throw it out...)

This is why I don't have sand. I would spread it evenly ( and maybe artistically ) over the tank floor, and with in a day, they would have cleared a lovely track....and re-arranged every thing that is movable. This is what they do :D

This post makes me laugh! I had the same problem. When my axolotls reach the corners of the tank they keep walking/swimming. Those silly little boogers never figure out they can't go through the glass. I am a little OCD and it was so irritating to be fixing the sand every couple days.

I came up with an easy solution. I placed large mexican pebbles on top of the sand in the corners. problem solved and people just think i did it to be decorative. :D

haha, Morrison, well, if you WILL keep messing up their feng shui...

I do love how they leave little tracks and 'footprints' in freshly moved sand. They make out like they are shy, and stay in their corner, then half an hour later I come back in and they are still hiding in their corner, but their footprints show they've been partying.

I've stopped trying to figure out why axolotls do anything, to be honest. One of mine is sleeping vertically up the side of the tank at the moment *shrugs*. Delightfully bonkers.

Lol. When I have fresh sand in their tanks I sometimes see the footprints going to their hides and back to the corner :)

Those little 'slashes' in the sand look cute.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back