Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: DIY hides

Danicus12

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been thinking about making some hides out of some PVC pipe.

The plan is to get some black PVC pipe, smooth the ends, coat it in silicone and then roll it in some left over sand substrate.

Does this sound like a plan?

Is there anything I need to know, particularly with regard to chemicals leaching from the PVC or silicone?

Any tips on a good width of pipe for an axolotl or does it depend on their personality for how tight a fit they like?

Cheers in advance,

-D-

Ken Worthington

Reaction score
Definately sounds like a plan ;)

You might want to make sure that the pipe sinks, first.....you can always silicone on a pebble or two if not.

Make sure the silicone that you use is rated for aquarium use; 'bathroom sealant'-type silicone contains fungicides/mould inhibitors,etc which is something to avoid.

Give the silicone plenty of time to cure; not giving off that 'vinegary' smell doesn't mean that it's fully cured.

With the PVC pipe, I'd be tempted to heat it gently (outdoors,etc), and curve it slightly so that it might provide more privacy and look more natural in the tank.

There's been some excellent threads here from members who have both a creative talent and a desire to photograph and share similar ideas :cool:

Last edited:

Danicus12

Reaction score
Make sure the silicone that you use is rated for aquarium use; 'bathroom sealant'-type silicone contains fungicides/mould inhibitors,etc which is something to avoid.
This I did not know, which is good cause that's exactly what I was thinking of using :eek:
With the PVC pipe, I'd be tempted to heat it gently (outdoors,etc), and curve it slightly so that it might provide more privacy and look more natural in the tank.
This is an excellent idea. Have to think about what I'm going to come up with...

Any tips on a good width of pipe for an axolotl or does it depend on their personality for how tight a fit they like?
Any ideas about this? I may not have much choice for size but if I do...

Thank you for the reply

-D-

Ken Worthington

Reaction score
There's been some excellent threads here from members who have both a creative talent and a desire to photograph and share similar ideas :cool:

It's easier to get a metre long section of pipe, one of those 'paint-stripper-heat-guns' (hair-dryers with hormone issues?) and a broom handle for a lever.

Bending a length of pipe then cutting it to shape is easier than cutting straight sections and trying to bend them individually, I believe.

As I said before, some of the senior forum members have posted tutorials on their beautiful creations ;)

KW

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!