Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How often can they lay eggs?

siona

Reaction score
I found what I think were spermatophores in the tank this morning (5 or 6 white blobby things which I removed). I'm worried now because I don't want any more eggs! And I don't want Tallulah to be stressed or weak from laying. They're previous batch has only just hatched! Now I know I should probably have separated them for a while after Tallulah laid the eggs, but I honestly have nowhere else to put them. Can they lay eggs this often? It's been about 18 days since they were laid. Should I seperate them now? I could maybe make a divider for the tank or use a plastic storage box...

Jzehr125

Reaction score
I don't know how often is safe for females to lay eggs, but I'd definitely go for a tank divider if you don't want any more eggs. The nice thing about tank dividers is that some come with small holes in them, so water flows freely between the two sides, so the tank can filter as normal, for the most part. It'll save you the time/effort of setting up another tank, even if it's only temporary. Just make sure that you put the divider in securely, maybe try and anchor the bottom of it with aquarium decorations, and/or use something to fasten it at the top too. I haven't personally used tank dividers with axolotls, but I'm sure that with their size, a bump or nudge against a loose divider could knock it over.

Best of luck!

Jzehr125

Reaction score
Just stumbled across something on the Caudata website (click here to see the page):

"Female axolotls shouldn't be allowed to breed more than once every two months for health reasons."

So you're definitely right in wanting to separate them. :) Hope all goes well!

siona

Reaction score
ah... - well bad news - there were more eggs in the tank this morning! Not many luckily - maybe around 50. Poor Tallulah...I'll have to put one of them in a tub for a while...

melfly

Reaction score
Dont worry too much now its happened.
My female laid every 4 weeks for about 6 months.
She has been seperated for a couple of months now.

Give her la big juicy worm as a reward bless her

Mel

siona

Reaction score
oh I'm glad yo know that! She seems perfectly fine - she got a frozen feeder fish yesterday and some bloodworms this morning - I'll go digging in the garden this weekend :D

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Be wary of frozen fish. The thiamine levels in them can trigger metamorphosis.

melfly

Reaction score
Just to add also, I split my female up for about 2 months, but felt sorry for her being in a big tub instead of her big tank.
Thursday before work i popped her back in the big tank...
this morning, eggs!!!!

Mel

siona

Reaction score
Be wary of frozen fish. The thiamine levels in them can trigger metamorphosis.

Really??? :eek: I had no idea...Well they only get them once in a while (because they smell!) but They'll just be getting earthworms and bloodworms from now on :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!