Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Help, my axolotl hasn't eaten in 4 weeks

stumpy1

Reaction score
Hi, my little Stumpy hasnt eaten since christmas eve. I ususally feed him 2-3 axolotl pallets every 2nd day but my partner fed him last and said stumpy ate @ 8-10. Since then Stumpy hasn't eaten, his tail has curled at the end, spends most of his time floating and playing dead. New Years day he looked like he was sheadding his skin, so I put him in the fridge for a few days till he came right. His water temp is usually between 15- 20 deg, Ph and Ammonia levels are fine, He doesn't have gravell in his tank.
Can someone please help me...

Danicus12

Reaction score
Hey,

No idea what might be wrong but how long has Stumpy been in the fridge and do you know what the temp in the fridge is?

Do you remember when the last time he pooped was?

How thin does his body look in relation to his head?

Anything new in the tank or room the tank is in? Cleaning products, perfumes, tank mates, food etc.

Hopefully these details will give someone else here some ideas.

-D-

Blakeleyl

Reaction score
I've recently had similar problems with my Axolotl, Toki. It wasn't till I came on here to look for help did I discover that feeding them too many pellets on a regular basis can actually cause problems with their liver and make them unwell. I'm no expert but I would suggest seeing if Stumpy will eat anything else. I was given this link http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods.shtml.

There's a whole heap of things listed there that are worth a try.

I used to feed Toki mostly pellets and she had similar problems; not eating, skin shedding, her gills even started to wither and become very sickly and I think the pellet based diet may have had a lot to do with that.

stumpy1

Reaction score
I had Stumpy in the fridge for a week, temp was between 8-10deg, he looked really happy in there but wouldn't eat.
I have tried him on blood worms, earth worms, steak, liver and he just tucks his head down.
He hasnt pooped for 2 weeks. His body is really getting thin, probably about half the size of his head.
His tank mate died 3 months ago, starved himself also, thats what made me join to learn more about them.
I change 20% of his water once a week, the pump is on low although he use to like sitting where the bubbles come out.
Nothing else has changed in his tank, I am really worried about him and we have no vets around to help us.

Blakeleyl

Reaction score
Sounds a lot like the predicament I'm in now with Toki, she wouldn't eat earthworms or beef heart I tried to coax her into eating. I've since completely cleaned and sterilised her tank and given it quite an overhaul. Where I live they started putting fluoride in the tap water around the same time I started having problems with Toki and so I sourced some spring and rain water to use in her tank. I've also been putting her in the fridge to try and help her begin to heal. I am yet to get her to eat but it's only been a day since I fixed everything up.

I don't suppose Stumpy has pooed had any green poop since this happened? Toki did and boy dit it freak me out.

mewsie

Reaction score
Have you tried feeding Stumpy something wriggly?

Perhaps popping in a nice wriggly worm will trigger his reflex to pounce and eat. I say pounce... more of a saunter over, really!

stumpy1

Reaction score
LOL yes Stumpy had some freaky poo's.

Am freaking out cause his tank buddy died after not eatting for 1 and a half weeks, poor stumpy is on his 4th week.

I had a worm in with him last week, but will try change his water using bottled water and put another worm in.

Blakeleyl

Reaction score
Well if the poo was greenish, then like I was told, that could indicate some form of liver infection... I'm really not 100% as I'm yet to get my Axolotl to eat as well but at the very least I would suggest continuing to try feeding her on a regular basis, but not pellets if they have caused Liver problems eating more is obviously not a good idea. I would think fridging could help Stumpy's liver recover if that is the problem...

Reaction score
The fridge is going to make him not want to eat as it slows their system down - How long has it been since he's been out of the fridge? If possible, I would keep him out but in a "hospital tank" in case there is some parasite in his home tank causing all of this. Keep offering him food, but also change the water frequently to keep it as clean as possible. I would also keep the tank covered as much as possible to reduce his stress.

Animallover

Reaction score
Hey, my axies did the same thing, they wouldnt eat for 3 weeks, so i decided to feed them differently. Insead of hand feeding them worms etc i decided to drop the worm at the axies feet and let him catch it himself and it worked. He didnt like the irritation at his feet so he went for it and ate it!!! so it might work for you. Good luck with everything and it sounds like you are doing a great job. :happy:

From Animallover

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1