Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Homemade chiller question

terryd

Reaction score
i have a question.is it a bad ideal to use copper water line.the reason im asking is.im making a homemade chiller.i could use clear rubber water line,but copper transfers cold better and i need all i can get.im trying to cool a135 gal.tank. one more question is four axolotls to many for that size tank:cool:

dragongirl413

Reaction score
Wowie! Can't help you on the chiller thing, beyond my knowledge. That will definitely be plenty of room for four axies as far as I know. ^_^ Sounds like they'll have an awesomely large home! Please post pics when you get it set up!

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
copper is not good for axolotls. I would avoid the copper tubing. I still go by the rule of thumb of 1 axolotl per 10 gallons. A 40 to 50 gallon tank is big enough for four axolotls.

If you have cooling problems their are two approaches you could take. 1 - Use a large tank because if axolotls are warm it is easier to maintain water quality and keep the axolotls healthy in a large tank.

2 - Use a smaller tank because it is easier to cool a smaller tank with a chiller.

Don't discount the evaporative cooling of blowing a fan over the tank.

Dendro Dave

Reaction score
You can try stainless steel tubing, or Titanium. I think titanium is what they use in sw aquarium chillers...pretty pricey but effective I guess.

The problem with DIY chillers in transferring the cold to the water efficiently so metal is a good way to go, but ya there may be an issue with copper as it could be toxic. Also having the water flow through the chilling area slowly is often needed so it has time to cool before re-entering the tank. People also have the tubing suspended in antifreeze to facilitate the transfer of the cold to the water.

Ken Worthington

Reaction score
Stainless steel comes in different grades, but I'd think it better named 'stain-resisent steel'.

I agree with Dave in that Titanium is great, but very pricey. :(

Running pipes through any medium which I'd not like to be introduced to the tank (however unlikely) is something I'd shy away from, personally.

As Carsona said, a fan such as a PC fan combined with an airstone in the tank will only help :happy:

Dendro Dave

Reaction score
Stainless steel comes in different grades, but I'd think it better named 'stain-resisent steel'.

I agree with Dave in that Titanium is great, but very pricey. :(

Running pipes through any medium which I'd not like to be introduced to the tank (however unlikely) is something I'd shy away from, personally.

As Carsona said, a fan such as a PC fan combined with an airstone in the tank will only help :happy:

There shouldn't be any risk if you keep any fittings/connections out of the temperature transfer media(antifreeze) because then the only way antifreeze or something would get into the water is if there was an actual hole in the steel/titanium cable. Which unless you put a kink in the line that shouldn't be an issue, and if you do put a kink in the line you probably shouldn't be using that piece. I can't think of a reason why you'd want any fittings/connections in the antifreeze either, since you just need to bathe the main body of coiled cable in it. The connections shouldn't need to be in it.

I suppose if you were really sloppy and fiddling with the tubes getting antifreeze on your hands then stuck your hands in the tank that would be pretty bad...but would also be pretty stupid ;) Alot of saltwater people have DIY chillers that operate safely like this with the cables submerged in antifreeze. I think there is some product for racing that transfers cold even better...like some kinda super antifreeze or something.

Ken Worthington

Reaction score
I know what you're saying, Dave and I agree with you.

I'm a bit too much of a traditionalist (that should read mediaeval :D) at heart, but you're right with the minimal leak potential in a set up such as that.

I just like to be wary of stuff, and use the 'belt and braces' approach......the belt to hold my trousers up, and the braces to pin my 'Mork' badges onto lol *

* Ken, that's too much information.

bmp1976

Reaction score
I am an AC refrigeration tech and have wondered about this many times! Stainless steel does transfer heat well. Maybe use copper coils on the outside bottom of the tank and insulate it well. Let me know if something works!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1