Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Freeze dried and/or frozen?

Jzehr125

Reaction score
To supplement my future axie's pellet diet, I want to use frozen and/or freeze-dried foods. I figure variety can't hurt. I was wondering which types/brands you recommend, and if freeze-dried even work well. I know that freeze-dried bloodworms usually float, so I was going to count those out, but I didn't know what your personal experiences are. Are there any good freeze-dried, or am I better off going with frozen? Also, is there a shelf-life for frozen foods, and does it matter if it gets freezerburnt? My freezer is very, very adept at freezerburning my food.

The pet store nearest me carries frozen brine shrimp in a packet, and frozen bloodworms in cubes. With frozen bloodworm cubes, is there any problem in taking one out of the packet, breaking it apart, and putting part of it back in the freezer if it is done within a few minutes?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Freeze-dried food is usually nutritionally void. The action of freeze drying destroys any nutrients that were there.

Frozen food is fine. If you don't let the bloodworms thaw and refreeze them, that will be fine too. Never refreeze food.

dragongirl413

Reaction score
Freeze-dried foods are unfortunately ridiculously plentiful at pet stores, but have almost zero nutritional value (like Kaysie said). Are there any worms available in your area? Keep in mind that Wal-mart, many gas stations, and bait/tackle shops carry nightcrawlers and often trout worms(also called red wigglers). They're cheaper in my experience than the frozen bloodworms and very nutritious. All you have to do is give the worms a quick rinse under water and drop them in front of your axie. I keep mine in the refrigerator for months before I have any worm deaths.

Jzehr125

Reaction score
Thank you both for your advice!

The pet shop didn't carry any live food, but I'll have to see if there are any bait shops around. The nearest Wal-Mart is unfortunately relatively far away (about 20-30 minutes). What do you store them in? Do you keep them in the container you buy them in? Do you add anything else in to feed the worms? Would they need to be cut up for a juvenile (2.5-3 inches in length)?

dragongirl413

Reaction score
They come in a plastic container with breathing holes and these can just be stuck in the refrigerator for storage until you bring them out for feeding. I don't add anything to the substrate they come in, I'm not sure what everyone else does. For the small juveniles, you would need to slice them up to the width of their mouth/head. That is the minor downside.

mewsie

Reaction score
Worms are so much tidier, too! One gulp and it's gone. Although watching them snuffle around for bloodworm is cute, it gets everywhere and is a pain to clean up. Frozen Brine shrimp is worse, it's fluffy and pale and if you don't spot it to clean it up it'll spoil your water.

I get my worms from a bait shop, nowhere to keep a worm farm here :( And yup, they just live in the fridge, I don't buy huge quantities.

Jzehr125

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice!

Worms do sound good, but I'll probably have to wait a bit on getting the worms until the little one gets bigger, as I'm a bit squeamish. Thanks for letting me know about the brine shrimp too - that does sound like a pain to clean up!

Jazzcalell

Reaction score
I feed freckles on frozen bloodworm.It comes in a blister pack but I popped all mine out and put them in a small tube because I chop the cubes in half and need somewhere to store the other half.:cool:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1