MereB

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Meredyth
:eek: Well Dillon and Chrysta have been at it again :mad:
Don't get me wrong I'm thrilled about the eggs just not with the timing :happy:
Now I'd been hoping for months that they would lay again but NOTHING so I finally gave in and gave the tank a thorough clean out and all the plants a good trim, not just the usual general pick up and vacuum, last weekend so NOW I have a heap of eggs all over the place which mean I will have to wreck the thing to get them out and they were all just starting to look good again after last weekends butchering :rolleyes:

I guess I will have very baby axies in a couple of weeks.

Who in PERTH Western Australia wants a baby axie or 2 :D

Not sure what the hatch rate will be this time around. Fish was their ONLY hatchling from their first batch of about 100 eggs and there looks to be about 100 eggs again (3-4 duds that I can see) in the tank which look MUCH better than their first lot so here's hoping :happy:

So Perthites let me know if you want some of the ones that hatch or if you want a go at some eggs.

I plan on leaving them in the tank for the next week or so and pull them out before they hath. They didn't eat any the last time so as long as I keep them well fed on worms I guess they will leave them alone this time as well.

I know some will be curious so all I did differently and purely by accident....
1.January 4th - 12th Tank ran on daylight only, no lights just what came in through the window.
2. January 13th - 15th (am) Chiller and the tank run at about 22 degrees (I forgot to turn the chiller back on after a nice cold day here :eek:) Daylight and light's back on from 3pm-11pm
3.January 15th MAJOR clean and 35% water change and Chiller back ON & light's on from 12:30pm - 11pm by which time temp had dropped back to 19 degrees.
4. January 16th - Jan 20th and tank was running @ 19 degrees with daylight and the lights on from 3 to 11pm and there they were on the 20th.
Chiller is still on but at 18 degrees to try an slow the eggs a little.
I had noticed Dillon AND Chrysta being a lot more active in those last 5 days but figured it was the cleaner tank and exploring the changes that had them buzzing :rolleyes: Chrysta in particular was very active in exploring every inch of the tank. They laid last time after a massive clean so I guess I should have expected it.

well done....congrats.
Fish will be a very good big brother.

Thanks Lea :happy:

I've moved them to their own tank now and there were 4 sets of twins that I found. One set had done nothing at all, 2 have one twin developing and the other died and one set that looks like both are doing very well. The both seem to be inside the same inner egg so it will be interesting to watch them to see if they hatch and if they are identical at all.
I still have about 70 eggs progressing well. By this time back in August I had lost all but 5 and 4 of those were looking cloudy so I'm thrilled
Some Pics
1. The hatchery
2. The twins at about 70-74 hours
3 & 4. The twins at about 93 hours
5 & 6. A couple of the other eggs at 93 hours
7. Twins at 114ish hours
8. Another egg at 114 hours.
It's won't let me do more than 8 :(

I should probably add Chrysta is a Golden albino, hence the white eggs, and Dillon is a wild
Oh and I forgot to put this in the first post of things that were different
From December 29th to Jan 3rd I gave them extra worms to fatten them up a little before we went away for the week that the light was off (Jan 4-12) during which time they didn't get fed :eek: then gave them a HUGE feed on the evening of the 12th.

Attachments

• DSCF8015.jpg
    DSCF8015.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 253
  • DSCF8010.jpg
    DSCF8010.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 198
  • DSCF8024.jpg
    DSCF8024.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 202
  • DSCF8027.jpg
    DSCF8027.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 193
  • DSCF8028.jpg
    DSCF8028.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 202
  • DSCF8017.jpg
    DSCF8017.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 204
  • DSCF8041.jpg
    DSCF8041.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 196
  • DSCF8045.jpg
    DSCF8045.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 219
ooooh, those little monkeys!

you take such great photos, Mere, so I'm looking forward to seeing them develop. Wish I was in Perth ;)

How is our mate Fish doing, these days?

Great photos MereB!
Haha.. convenient huh? Sometimes I wonder if animals just try to annoy us! :violent: Gotta love them though. :kiss:

ooooh, those little monkeys!

you take such great photos, Mere, so I'm looking forward to seeing them develop. Wish I was in Perth ;)

How is our mate Fish doing, these days?
He's doing really well, growing like a weed still.
Just because I know you love him I took a couple of pics for you just now :happy:
Still no idea what to call his color. He has some beautiful bright yellow spots and while he looks both gold and albino in the pics he's neither He has dark eyes and his gold is patterned with a VERY VERY VERY pale brown/tan He looks sort of like someone had poured the pale paint right down his back, over his head and along his tail and it's run down his sides a little. I'll see if I can get some god pics of it tomorrow.
Fish Chilling in his fave hide, which he is rapidly growing too big for, that i will have to find a way to jack up a little higher since he seems intent on filling it in every time I dig it out :rolleyes: or he would fit a lot better :lol:

Attachments

• DSCF8051.jpg
    DSCF8051.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 3,966
  • DSCF8052.jpg
    DSCF8052.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 4,675
  • DSCF8048.jpg
    DSCF8048.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 337
Aww he still has those 'shiny legs' :)

no way is that fish??....I have been away tooooo long. He looks like a big boy now. Please keep the photos of the babies coming.....My axies dont even look like they want kids.

ooh ooh ooh ooh I am SO excited this morning :D
They have started flicking and wriggling around in their eggs :D
Quite a few of them now have pigment visible today as well. I guess Dillon DID get a look in when it came to the genepool. :lol:

LOL yep Lea that's my little men he's getting bigger. I'm pretty certain he is a HE now as he is quite well endowed :eek: if he was the same size as his daddy his protrusion would be HUGE! I'll see if he will co-operate with a pic later, he's hiding from the kids right now :rolleyes:
I haven't measured him for quite some time but he's not as long as my hand yet and is about to turn 5 months old

OK a few Pics cause you know I can't help myself :D :lol: the camera lense took a little swim while I was taking these this morning :eek: Took me ages to figure out why it wouldn't focus till I went looking for kiddo finger prints on it and found water :rofl:
Not sure how the twins are doing today. I think they have progresses since yesterday, one is bigger than the other but it always had been that way. The little one from what I can see has a oddly shaped tail tip but I noticed that yesterday as well, I think you can see it in one of the previous pics, it looks more like a little strand of white but it could be the angle. They seem to be further behind than I would have expected. Hopefully they won't die :(
About 134 hours...

Attachments

• DSCF8054.jpg
    DSCF8054.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 218
  • DSCF8059.jpg
    DSCF8059.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 207
  • DSCF8061.jpg
    DSCF8061.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 194
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back