An empty tank, what shall I fill it with?

MissBehave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
MissBehave
Hiya, I have given away all my tropical fish. I'm 6 and a half months pregant and just did not have the decent time to give them so thought it would be better to give them a new home.

I have my 5 axolotls still, would never part with them (and god they are so easy!)

So I have an empty tank, want something cold watered really and easy. It has to be easy, no need for a light or heater, (although I do have both if something tickled my fancy)

Don't like goldfish, or bugs :blush: but love my axies.

any ideas? thank you :p

Hi there, Pleurodeles waltl fit the bill quite well....

*Very hardy, active and entertaining.
*Will eat a variety of food (they love their food!).
*Housed much the same way as axies (no heater or light needed).
*Easy to breed.
*Easy to find captive-bred.

:happy:

Hi there, Pleurodeles waltl fit the bill quite well....

*Very hardy, active and entertaining.
*Will eat a variety of food (they love their food!).
*Housed much the same way as axies (no heater or light needed).
*Easy to breed.
*Easy to find captive-bred.

:happy:

Hi Ken! Thank you for that suggestion, they sound perfect & look great :happy: I am going to do some research on these little fellas. Do you keep them? :)x

I am going to do some research on these little fellas. Do you keep them? :)x

I've just the one (the cheeky lil' chap in my avatar pic) :happy:

If (after some research) you'd like to keep some, there are some 'free to a good home' advertised here in the 'For Sale' section from 'georgeangler' in Liverpool.
I got mine from forum-admin 'Mark' in Bristol......not far from you at all ;)

Hope this helps :happy:

I think Ken´s suggestion is spot on. P.waltl has essentially the same housing and care requirements as A.mexicanum in captivity, so it should be easy for you.
These are robust newts, very personable and easy to care for, i really think they are the ideal option.
Just for the shake of it, there are other species that are also good options, like any Triturus or T.verrucosus, I.alpestris (the UK climate works great for alpestris)... They would all make good choices, but P.waltl is hard to beat xD

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back