Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White almost fungus-looking spots on axolotl?

ScarletsBurn

Reaction score
Hello everyone :)

Ive had my axolotl for almost 5 months now and throughtout the time I have had him he has had these white spots that are flat on his skin but almost look like a fungus..
I posted a question like this a while back but no one could determine what it was..

I have pictures in my gallery, he has a fairly large one on is back and a few small ones on his head. They havent grown or change in the months that I have had him or even made any affect on his living. It would be nice to know what they are though...

any ideas?
his a black melanoide adult. (aprox 2 and a half years)

* * * 4 FOOT LONG TANK AND 2 AXOLOTLS??? (another question completly different)************

Also, I will be moving him to a large 4 foot long tank and am planning on getting him a 'partner'
How many axies can I fit in this tank?
Only answer things like 'you cant have more then *such and such*' unless youve experienced these problems yourself.
If, for some reason, two axolotls in a tank this size said 'hey i dont care for my hides or these plants, thats another axie and im going to kill him no matter his size' then please tell me. If anyone, like many fotos and breeders and experienced axolotl keepers, have, indeed kept up to three axolotls succesfully in tanks smaller then this, inform me? Thanks a heap :D

carsona246

Reaction score
I think I was told 3 could fit in a 40 breeder, which is 3 ft. I think you would be fine with a 4 ft tank and 3 axolotls.

ScarletsBurn

Reaction score
I guess everybody has there different opinions rite? Ill start off with two and see where i go :)

Anyone got ideas for the whie spots??? there my main concerns??

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think more people would look at the photos if you posted them onto the thread, or at least gave links.

I don't think the spots look like fungus, but I don't know what it might be. If the animal is otherwise eating and behaving normally, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1