Baby axolotls need food

adamski

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i have 40 baby axolotls i have been feeding on fresh hatch brine shrimp. They are two and a half weeks old .Started run out of brine shrimp eggs got some more but there not hatching. Is there anything else i could feed them till i get some more of the same ones .How long will they last without feeding ordered some more they should be here tomorow .Witch means they wont have fed for three days any help please

Just keep them in cold water And feed them like every 2 to 3 days.The baby axolotls can can also eat live dapnia I Think white worms work great , having a thriving white worm culture will really help with raising young axies ,i use white worms for food till they axies are big enough to sawallow earthworm bits and pellets .But with tiny hatching sized baby axies it's better too dice the white worms up first , or the worms are to long and wild for the axolotls to wrangle down. Aso if let uncut the White worms will all gather together and form into small balls and become even more difficult for the smaller axies to swallow .. Mosquito larvae.also work great but are difficult to harvest now due to winter.

Last edited:
You might want to try Daphnia at this stage.......potentially very nutritious also ;)

When the larvae grow, whiteworm are handy and seem irresistable, but aren't nutritionally complete.....

Try some live bloodworm and see how they get on for a start

Thanks for your help will order some white worms. Some of brine shrimp eventualy hatched mostly eggs tho they eat them to can they digest them ? got new brine shrimp eggs now will see if they hatch beter there the same brand as last ones that worked.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back