Illness/Sickness: Ambystoma andersonii fungus and question

musilvr4eva

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Emily
My adult Anderson's salamander has a fungal infection on his foot. I think his wifey bit him and caused it to fungus over. At first I thought it was a piece of food that was stuck to his foot, but I tried to remove it and it was indeed attached, and with my trying to remove it, he lost a toe and I can see bone on the toe next to that one. I have pimafix, an all natural fish fungus medication, can a DILUTED dose of that be used? I've also heard of salt baths, should that be the route I take? And my most concerning question, are his toes gonna grow back (how similar to their axolotl cousins are they)? Any info would be great!

~Emily~
musilvr4eva

So the fungus went away before I could do the salt bath (it was gone within a couple hours of the post), so I'm not sure what it was. It does appear one or two toes may be gone, but he won't hold still long enough for me to look. There is no red or discoloration of any kind on him. I keep checking on him a couple times a day though for any sign of it returning, at which time I will do a salt bath. I was wondering with the salt baths though, is it best to acclimate the animal from the fresh to salt to fresh or do I just plop him him and then take him out? I know with fish it's best to acclimate them slowly even if there is just a little aquarium salt being added, so acclimating seems best, however you'd have to acclimate longer than 15 minutes which is the time he should be in the bath. Anyone with experience with this?

~Emily~
musilvr4eva

Amazing how quickly things can change. He has multiple patches now and is noticably skinnier than his tank mate. I did my first salt bath for him. My question though is if I should remove the fungus patches or leave them? He got upset when I tried :(

Emily

He didn't make it through his ordeal. RIP my little handsome guy.
Emily

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back