Dendro Dave from Dendroboard here...

Dendro Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi people. I've been lurking for some time off and on over the years and finally joined then eventually made my first post recently. Figured It was time to introduce myself. I'm located near Tulsa OK, and am currently 33.

I have been keeping mantella and dartfrogs mostly for the last 6-8 years? Eh..I've lost track :) Before the major ice storm that ravaged Oklahoma a few years ago I probably had what was the largest Dart/mantella collection in the state...at least the most diverse species wise I believe. I've kept 6-8 species of mantella and over a dozen dart species/morphs.During this time I have also kept a few newts and salamanders...mostly newts. And I have kept them off and on since I was a kid. During my life I have kept Fire bellied newts, fire bellied toad, paddle tails, hong kong warty, a wc tiger salamander that didn't thrive from the start and promptly died, eastern newts, California newts, and probably a couple more I'm forgetting.

I've also kept a dozen or so different gecko species, mostly day geckos of one type or another. I'm mostly focused on rebuilding my Dart frog collection since the Ice storm killed most of the animals I had. I currently keep some L. Williamsi geckos, 4 red galact darts, 2 superblue auratus darts, and 3 blue azuerus darts, along with 2 ferrets and a Fennec Fox. No newts or salamanders at this time but I'm looking to get a GFP axolotl at some point and I'd like to try building some enclosures using thermoelectric cooling to keep some Pseudotriton ruber or other cooler temp varieties at some point.

Anyways here are a few vivs I've build and animals I've kept...

5001707479_fbd9111ffb.jpg

4903261973_5aa9edb699_b.jpg

4694078249_96b0cfd038_b.jpg

4694056827_96a17dba8e_b.jpg

3399230521_3fff6dea70_z.jpg

3177319592_33996f001a_b.jpg

Special guest appearance from Echo...
3198081642_6f853c7847_b.jpg

I've gotten into coming up with FX ideas for vivariums lately. Here are some of my more interesting DB threads...

Florescent and exotic minerals and semi precious stone use in viv construction....
Exotic minerals and semi precious stone use in viv construction.... - Dendroboard

(More) new special FX viv ideas...(Firefly lights, and fiber optic FX for plants))
(More) new special FX viv ideas...(Firefly lights, and fiber optic FX for plants)) - Dendroboard

Firefly lights installed in Hex (With Video)
Firefly lights installed in Hex (With Video) - Dendroboard

Possible ways to create glowing FX for LIVE moss...
Possible ways to create glowing FX for LIVE moss... - Dendroboard

Bioluminescent animals for the vivarium...
Bioluminescent animals for the vivarium... - Dendroboard

Glowing Desert Viv Finished...
Glowing Desert Viv Finished... - Dendroboard

MORE FX...Model train scenery use(fake rock?) and simulated rippling water fx light
MORE FX...Model train scenery use(fake rock?) and simulated rippling water fx light - Dendroboard

And you can check out my vivariums and a few of my animals in these 2 Flickr galleries...
My galleries...
http://tiny.cc/yptef
And...
http://tiny.cc/mnowi

Anyways thats me. Don't know how active I'll be here since I spend a lot of time on Dendroboard.com and Dartfrogz.com forums but...HI :)

what amazing frogs and loving your vivariums what lucky frogs!! :D

That's probably the most amazing intro post ever. Hope you find a few minutes to stop by now and then.

Thanks everyone! ...I'm sure I'll be around every so often, at least :)

O_O I had seen at least two of your tanks before and they rendered me a drooling idiot back then too...
Welcome to our little corner of the hobby!

If you charged admission to see your tanks I would definitely pay...and wait in line.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back