Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How long can it take for an axolotl to pass gravel?

Jazzcalell

Reaction score
I woke up this morning to see that Freckles(still a little translusant) had eaten some gravel.you can see the green bits.
Its very bery fine gravel but my axie is only afew mths old.
Should I wait for it to pass but keep a close eye on freckles.He is still he nosey self.:confused:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
A holiday in the fridge will probably help him pass it quicker.

If you haven't yet, you need to remove any gravel from your aquarium. Now you see why we tell people "no gravel, never ever".

mewsie

Reaction score
I have literally just now found a piece in my tank - after we removed the gravel 3 months ago!

Kaysie, do you think I should be fridging my two this far along? I've found maybe 6/7 pieces of gravel since moving them to sand.

Jazzcalell

Reaction score
I did ask what to put in the tank when I brought him as was told this fine gravel was fine.What do I do with the fridging?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Fridging information can be found here.

If the pet shop told you the gravel was fine, they're probably wrong. Often they will sell you something just to sell more stuff, or they're truly ignorant in what is appropriate for axolotls. I don't put any substrate in my juvenile tanks until they're around 4-5 inches.

Mewsie, I don't think it would be effective in your case. If they're eating and pooping, it wouldn't help much. The point of fridging is that it helps the animal pass fecal matter.

mickey1975

Reaction score
I know the person you got your axie from and i must state that the seller keeps all her axies very healthy and on SAND the babies are all on bare bottom tanks.

There is alot of people i know that use's very fine gravel and it works for them.
it was me you asked about that not the seller.

I'm sure the seller would of put you right about this if you ad asked her face to face.

I'm sorry for the major bad on the fine sand, i know now it aint any good for babies,

Jazzcalell

Reaction score
I DNT UNDERSTAND HOW A SIMPLE QUESTION WITH NO BLAME PLACED ANYWHERE CAN LEAD TO PM MSG AND ME FEELING LIKE NOW I SHOULD NOT USE THIS SITE.I was not blaming the seller in anyway what so ever and am very thankful for my beautiful new addition.I said I had very fine gravel in my tank(very fine) and was told that would be ok.
Freckles has now passed all the gravel from what I can see and never stopped eating.
Thank you to anyone whom was willing to offer advice without judgment.Everyone has to start somewhere and one pet will ALWAYS be there first.:(

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I'm glad your little guy is passing it well. Just keep an eye on him and keep feeding as normal.

Fine gravel/coarse sand isn't inappropriate for adults, but (as you can see), it might not work so well with little ones. After all, when they're small, so is their digestive tract; much smaller than an adults.

Keep up the good work. You're doing right by your axolotl, so don't sweat what others have to say.

iChris

Reaction score
I have not had any experience raising very young axies, but I have seen displays where they are kept on very fine gravel and they seem fine, in my opinion fine gravel should pass during normal movements on its own.

I personally keep my aixe on a bare bottomed tank and it works very well, but what works for me may not work for you.

its all just about keeping a very close eye on your animal, and watching them regularly during the day (if possible) to get to know its habits, and if it is munching on substrate or its just accidental ingestion during feeding time, (which it probably is)

Jazzcalell

Reaction score
Well I have removed all the gravel now and Freckles seems content.I will be putting sand in at some point but I have him in a small tank for now till he is bigger so I will wait till then.
Thank you everyone who helped:rolleyes:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1