Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How to Promote Gill Growth

The Banana

Reaction score
Just curious to know if anybody had any tips on how to promote the growth of gills in axies?
My aim - something like Shannon's axie's gills. :smile: They are beautiful Shannon... I'm sure you already get heaps of compliments, but they are STUNNING!!!

carsona246

Reaction score
I've heard that if you lower your oxygen they get bigger.

Skilly

Reaction score
Gill length is mainly do to genetics. Water quality and oxygen levels also are factors. High quality, low oxygen may promote slight growth.

Keep in mind though that axies don't usually regrow hurt or damaged gill fronds. My Luna had huge gills, very very long, but then they got nipped off by my other axie. They are still quite long and nice but they never grew back. So if your axies have had damage done to their gills they may always be stubby.

The younger the axie is though, the more of a chance to grow gills :D

dragonlady

Reaction score
Hi Sarah,

Thank you so much for your compliments! Grace gave you a great response for accomplishing this plus made some great points that do affect gill growth and I definitely agree with the smaller the axie, the better chance you have.

I raised Osiris from about an inch long in a small tub with daily water changes until she got about 3" long, then she was transferred to her current home in a 20 gallon. I don't necessarily believe it possible for every axolotl to develop long gills no matter what you do - my opinion. Osiris is the only one of my 11 that ever got those crazy gills. I can suggest to definitely keep your axie stress free, stay on top of your water quality, keep the water flow slow, and give yours nice juicy worms. Appreciate him/her for the individual he/she is and spoil him/her absolutely rotten! :D

The Banana

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the reply.. I was sure I subscribed, but I guess I didn't. :eek:
My axies are spoilt rotten.. especially Banana.. he has a 200L tank for himself, and is hand-fed juicy worms. :) Little Aristotle Axolotl is only tiny.. and in Q. at the moment (recovering from eating gravel at the LFS, there was 5 pieces so far).

:D Thanks everyone, hopefully they'll get big gills, but if they don't, I'll still love them just as much for who they are. :love:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!