Axolotl Behaviour

Striker

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi guys,
Just a question about how active your axies are? OJ (my gloden albino) is positevely hyper compared to any other axolotl I have seen thus far. He is perfectely healthy and happy.

Even at the pet shop where he was bought from he was much more active than all the others. He is constantaly doing various circuits of the tank (Bottom to top of tank, side to side, circles around tank) for hours in a row mainly in the evening and night (he seems to sleep or rest a bit more in the mornings). I would even say he is more active than most fish I've seen.

As I have mentioned before he eats reguraly and looks great and is a pleasure to watch and take care of, I'm just wondering how normal he is?

Thanks

I have a leucistic juvie and a wildtype larvae, and my leucistic is much more active than my larvae. At first I just thought it was because he was young, but now that my larvae is almost a juvenile I think I just have an active one. He's usually doing laps around his tank, and rarely spends much time in his 3 hiding spots. It may be that my leucistic has recognized that I mean food, and he's just begging for food whenever I look at the tank. He even comes to the water's surface in hopes that I drop a worm in front of his face whenever I peer through the top of his tank.

I spot one of my adult leucistics lapping up and down the front of the tank first thing ever morning. I think he does it most of the night. Then during the day he just lounges about. The other is never particularly active. They're both fed the same so maybe it is just down to personality :)

seems normal, and keep in mind that they tend to be more active at night.

my axie is rather chilled during the day and rests at the bottom, but he is very active at night, and I sometimes hear him "kick" the airstone that hangs in the tank.

About 9pm seems to be Axolotl O'Clock here - with the exception of Albi who swims ALL DAY.

The other two grace us with activity from about 9, and I would imagine, all through the night too, while it's dark.

When Alan and Arbie were babies they were active most of the time! But now the fat plodders barely do anything...well, so I thought! I catch them all having a swim from around 1/2am til, well when it starts to get light really, so 7/8am! Throughout the day they'll plod around, chill out in the leaves etc and sleep I guess lol.

Thanks for the reply guys,
I'm just lucky to have a active little guy :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back