Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: What's with the stubby gills?

siona

Reaction score
I've seen some axies with really long gills and a few (mainly wildtype or melanoid but that's probaby coincidence) with really small stubby gills. Is this something that just varies from axie to axie? Or is it a sign of stunted growth or bullying? I'm just quite surprised how much they can differ. Is there a 'normal' length of gill??? :confused:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
There are a lot of factors that go into it: genetics is one of the biggest, then water quality, injuries, age, all sorts of things.

I think 'normal' is kind of a misnomer; axolotls can have a huge variety of gill lengths.

siona

Reaction score
ah, that makes sense. I just thought it was interesting. I guess an axie with small gills might come up for air more often than an axie with long gills in the same tank?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That's a good assumption. I've never had an axolotl with extra-large gills, so I can't say for sure, but I guess that would be the case, if all other factors were the same.

zoezakella

Reaction score
Think they are all different :) My wild type has the longest, followed by my leucistic then my golden albino who has always had short gills bless him (they are slowly growing) but in terms of coming up for air seems to make no odds in my guys and weirdly since transerring them from a 3ft tank to 4ft despite no extra volume of water as the 3ft was high they are coming up less for air, work that one out ? :D

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
With a longer tank, there's a larger water surface-to-air ratio, so there's more surface for gas exchange to happen. Therefore there's more oxygen in the water, and they come to the surface less.

zoezakella

Reaction score
LOL Kaysie should have known someone would have the answer on here cheers for that and has made a big difference plus they seem to love being in a 4ft tank was so worth it!!

kuphie

Reaction score
ah, that makes sense. I just thought it was interesting. I guess an axie with small gills might come up for air more often than an axie with long gills in the same tank?

my girls 1+ yrs, melanoid and wildtype with healthy and thick 3/4 inch gills almost never surface. As my 6+ mo. GFP male with 1 1/2 inch long gills is always seen doing it. It must be a personality or maybe an age thing. My girls seemed to do it more when they were younger. Or maybe my girls are just too fat now. :eek:

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!