Illness/Sickness: Axolotl throwing up. help!

diegoalro

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
I have a young axolotl, and he's just thrown up the last thing he ate, half-digested. What could it be?
It's been eating a lot lately, I've been feeding him on... Well some king of grasshopper or cricket (grillos in Mexico). About 2 daily.

you probably know this isn't the best diet for him, maybe try to find some aquatic insects (bloodworm,daphnia) or some earthworms, for a much better diet. They can eat grillos they're just not the best staple for an axolotl diet.

as for the throwing up, you mentioned that it has been eating a lot, is could possibly be overfull, if it doesn't have enough room to fit any more in, then it wont.

Are you sure this is 'Thrown up'? it seems more likely that it would have passed through your axolotl, grillos could be quite hard to digest - especially for a young axie, and it seems likely that it's just poop.

To elaborate a bit on what Crysta said, grillos have a chitin-based outer layer, and this is hard for axolotls to digest, so it may be thrown up/passed through while only partially digested.

And she's spot-on with overfeeding.

It's been hard for me finding something to actually feed my axolotl. Actually i think it's an Ambystoma Vasci, which is more likely to become a salamander. Now it's loosing it's gills. I don't know whether this is normal or not, but the gills have become smaller and now they're almost gone.
What is the best food to feed it now and when it becomes a salamander?
About the gills, does anyone know what could it be? Should i worry?
Please help!

Earthworms are generally the best food for most species.

I read your other post, and it sounds like your salamander is going through metamorphosis.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back