Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Feeding my axolotl

Saint

Reaction score
I have my axolotl for just under 3 weeks now and I have been feeding him pellets and earthworms every other day however when I do feed him if i just drop it into his tank he will completley ignore it it will remain there til I clean it up after 24 hours. The only way he will eat is if i drop it right in front of his face is there anyway I can train him to search for his food?
Thanks in advance
Saint

carsona246

Reaction score
Mine was the exact way. Eventually he started to associate my hand with food because I would have to drop it right in front of his face. Now he swims up to my hand the second he realizes that my hand is in the tank, and I don't even have to stick it in the tank. I can just dangle the worm at the surface and he comes to me.

carsona246

Reaction score
idk about searching it out. Mine seems pretty darwinistic about finding food if I just drop it in the tank. I mean he'll find it eventually, but if your used to fish like I am it's not the same. He'll find it in good time though. I usually just wave my hand in front of of his face and he'll figure it out

axolotlfriend

Reaction score
not to change the subject, but do axies need a lot of light to see their food? how do they sense their food?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They find food mostly by smell and sense of movement. Since they're mostly nocturnal, they don't need a lot of light to hunt, but some is probably helpful.

axolotlfriend

Reaction score
They find food mostly by smell and sense of movement. Since they're mostly nocturnal, they don't need a lot of light to hunt, but some is probably helpful.

thanks.

i just wanted to know because i was thinking of putting an axie tank AKA rubber-maid in a dark corner. :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1