Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I think I may have overfed my axolt

Lemi

Reaction score
My room is really cold, about 60 degrees Fahrenheit so I don't feed him that often. I've had this little guy since about the 18th of December. He only just got big enough where I felt he could swallow a whole worm so I found the smallest one I could find and I gave it to him, which he still struggled with. He got it down and his stomach is now probably about twice the size it was. He doesn't look stressed to me and he doesn't float but he's acting rather lethargic. I'd come into my room and he'd instantly greet me and I'd also sometimes stick the tip of my finger in his water and we'd have a little tug of war which he now seems rather uninterested in.
Can an axolotl overeat? What happens if they do?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Casi, your axolotl ate a pretty big meal! I suspect he's just feeling lethargic from ingesting so much food. Give him a few days to digest a little, and see if he comes back to his normal self.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!