Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question (about to be an axolotl owner)

Dreamseru

Reaction score
So one of my friends no longer wants their axolotl and soon this female albino axolotl will move in with me, and ive looked at what she needs on the site, and talked about it with the person im getting this axolotl from, who has owned the axolotl healthily for a while, what bugs me is that im told be this friend that I dont need temperature control, or a filter, nothing about ammonia nitrate or whatever its called, now obviously this person has been succesful as the axolotl is alive, but do any of you guys know why this is, I live in nz so perhaps the temperature is already good, but im preplexed at the contradicting information:confused:

siona

Reaction score
I think it's down to how responsible the owner is. They're pretty hardy so thay can sometimes manage fine in less-than-perfect conditions, but in the long term it's better for the axie if the temperature and the ammonia levels are optimal.

I only recently got a filter - before that I just changed the water more often, which didn't seem to bother the axies at all (the tank did start to smell after only a couple of days though so that's probably not good for them).

Dreamseru

Reaction score
well, ill talk to the people at the pet shop when I go there for food, back when I had a cockatiel they were rather helpfull, and I prefer talking to people in person, Ill also see if I can find out how long this friend has had luna (her name)

Rhysmachine101

Reaction score
I would have o agree with siona, there- they can be pretty hardy animals,
I saw an really fat axie in brisbane in a TINY bowl, but it looked healthy enough- if bored, and cramped.
Axolotls can survive in pretty rough conditions I think, but to really enjoy their little personalities I would recommend that you give your soon to be adopted axie the best possible conditions you can.

So for temperature, if you are in a fairly mild place weather wise- you might not need any temperature control- axies like it around 19 degrees, I am finding that even though it is summer I am not getting above 20 degrees and never below 17.
It been pretty good to me, the weather, this year- plus I have a bigger 4 ft tank for them now, which helps with the temperature.

So ask your friend whether he noticed what the temperature usually was while he kept it.
If your tank stays around these sort of temperature, you might be fine.

Many people- I have heard- keep axolotls without filters, but you need to do many more water changes and substrate clean-ups to keep the water quality good.

The ammonia levels are important, so I would read up on them if you can.

Good luck, hope you enjoy it!

Rhysmachine101

Reaction score
Sorry for the double posting- just wanted to correct myself.
Axolotls actually prefer temps between 16 and 18 degrees Celsius, with over 24 being when warning lights should flash. Which means my tank temp is a touch on the warmer side for my axies- I don't think they mind too much.
Sorry, Dreamseru.:D

Dreamseru

Reaction score
so I have luna with me on my desk, at first she was sort of at the corner of the tank, then she started swimming from one end to the other, but now shes cruising at the edge of the tank, but not the corner again, I plan to get a different tank to the one my friend used, the differences being that I would rather a plastic tank so she could grip the sides better, the bottom is fine as we have rocks that we washed there, occasionally she pops her head out of the water for a half second but I dont know what that means, the other difference is that as shes so often at the edge of the tank id prefer a slightly larger tank, but she seems to have settled down by now, a car ride I can imagine would be rough if you were in a tank of water, im thinking a piece of plastic pipe could be used to give her something to be in.

I am wondering about the positions of her "mane" I think its her gills, they sort of change position sometimes and im wondering if its a valuable tell like my cockatiels crest was.

EDIT: oh yes and the previous owner of luna had her for about 1-2 years aparently so im sure shel live with me as long as I follow those instructions, but I will try to give luna the best treatment I can as an owner because that is in essence my responsibility

EDIT 2: I forgot to mention that the current tank seems a bit too small to have a filter as it would cause too much water flow, whats min/max sized tanks for one axie?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Once you decide on a new tank(axies really don't need to grip the sides, they tend to hang out on the bottom most of the time - but if you prefer plastic, the axie isn't going to complain :D), then you will have to deal with cycling it. This means more frequent water changes until the "good" bacteria you need to break down the waste build up enough to take care of it. If you can buy a testing kit from your local store, that will help you monitor the levels(first the ammonia will spike, then the nitrites, then the nitrates should level out). Make sure the rocks are much larger than her head, otherwise there is a chance of ingestion.You could also use sand.

When she goes to the top, she is gulping air. If it becomes frequent, it could be a sign of a water quality issue, but most will do it occassionally as they do have lungs as well as gills.

If her gills are curved forward, that indicates that she is stressed. Otherwise its just normal movement.

Dreamseru

Reaction score
the rocks are definitly a good size, a few are smaller but im pretty sure its good, as the smallest rocks are the ones shes had before I got her, I might put some more tap water in a bowl and let it sit four 24 hours if her gulping air is a water quality issue, course id be changing the water anyway but im sure its worth doing it now rather then later.

thanks for all the replies and helpful information, if anything else happens ill post here if the threads still on the first page, or post in another thread/make a new thread regarding the problem

iChris

Reaction score
axies have the ability to breathe small amounts of air, they have un-developed lungs of sorts, its quite normal, my axie gulps from time to time, then settles back to the bottom, and blows out small bubbles.

a filter is preferable, one that turns over the tanks water a few times a hour without creating much current is a plus, try a hang on the back cascade filter or even a air powered sponge filter.

ammonia is deadly to just about all fish and amphibians, you are essentially trapping the animal in its own waste if you don't keep the ammonia levels down, adding a few very hardy aquatic plants will help, as they absorb some of the nasty waste your animal will create, but keep in mind that your axie may uproot them so be prepared to re plant them on occasion.

about your substrate, those large pebbles will collect alot of waste and will mess with water chemistry, despite your best efforts at siphoning it out, sand or not having a substrate at all is preferable as it is alot easier to keep clean.

the bigger the tank, the better, a large amount of water will dilute any waste, and it will be more likely the water will remain at a constant temperature. about 50L I believe is the absolute minimum for one adult axie, and this water must be constantly filtered and about 20% replaced twice weekly, with de-chlorinated water, using a commercial water ager available for fish will suffice.

good luck, and pst some pictures of your little mate!

Dreamseru

Reaction score
ill post some pics once weve done more to sort out our axie

other then that, we plan to get a very small low power filter, basicly a filter that wont cause much water current

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1