Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

All 6 Hatched!

ax

Reaction score
Still not sure if they're eating... do you think the daphnia are too big? They don't look it.
I'm doing 100% WC every day, cleaning the tub ( 3 in each as you can see )
All 6 are wildtype I'm guessing?
Thanks

Sorry they are so big :S
ax-albums-larvae-picture14181-axolotl-047.jpg

ax-albums-larvae-picture14182-axolotl-040.jpg
ax-albums-larvae-picture14180-axolotl-037.jpg

ax

Reaction score
Well, they seem to be eating the daphnia so thats good news. Ill take more photos tomorow :)

Erzs

Reaction score
All these axolotl babies threads makes me want some! =P Are they hard to raise? They look great!

smily sam

Reaction score
hi i was wandering what that green weed is with your axolotl lavae
also erz they are quite hard to rase, im raising some babys now:happy::eek:

martasauce

Reaction score
I'd be interested to find out how hard it is to raise young. I'm not in a position at the moment (40 degree days) but at some point I am sure I'll be back in England.

ax

Reaction score
Yep its java moss, just to give them some cover.
So far i've found it relatively straight forward, 100% wc every day and top up the tubs with daphnia and thats about it. I only have 6 though, and some raise over 100 at a time! :eek: SO I think it all depends on how many you have (duh:p) and now I sorta wish I'd taken on more because I'm getting too attatched to them...

SanderB

Reaction score
100% water change every day is not necessary I clean my tank when its realy dirty. Its stressful for the axolotls so its best you don´t clean your tank to much.
Artemia salina and Daphnia pulex is the best food. And when they start to get back leggs you can start giving them frozen bloodworms. And when they are bigger you give them earthworms and that´s it. This is the easiest aquatic animal to breed and raise.

ax

Reaction score
I think it's neccesary when in such a small volume of water... besides, doing a partial water change is probably more hassle and might actually become more stressful for them.They seem to be feeding fine from hatch on daphnia alone but im running out :O
Hopefully they'll hold out till weekend!

SanderB

Reaction score
I think it's neccesary when in such a small volume of water... besides, doing a partial water change is probably more hassle and might actually become more stressful for them.They seem to be feeding fine from hatch on daphnia alone but im running out :O
Hopefully they'll hold out till weekend!

Yes ofcourse, but I mean it´s not necsesary to do that every day.

ax

Reaction score
Oh ok, I misunderstood.
Unfortunately 2 died overnight :( I think it was due to lack of food, but they just didn't seem to be eating like the others.
There are 3 in each tub, and one seems to be striving much more, I only really noticed after the two deaths, so I moved the 4th in with the others and put a ton of daphnia in with them because the individual was a lot smaller than the others in only a few days growth...
Hope they are going to survive :errr:
Thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1