Question: What's an easy way to treat white patches?

Morrison

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Xotl (the one on my avatar) has some white patches in his neck. No fungus. I had to deal with that before and I tried different things and it was gone in a few days.

The problem is actually... I don't know exactly wat caused it to disappear. So my question... what works against it? I read different things. Is adding salt to the tank okay? Or is it a tea bath? (I can't find black tea without any other weird things in it anywhere...) Or is there something else with easy things to 'cure him'?

Thanks.

I have the same doubt, is adding salt to the tank good for the axie's skin?

I was recommended to do it, but I am unsure if it is really good, or useless...

The good news is that I found some black tea without anything else (weird things like aroma stuff etc.) in it and did some of the tea-water in the tank (damn, the tank water was all brownish and the axies were hard to find in there :p)

But it did work and I don't see anything else on them anymore. So I think the tea baths are an easy way :)

but what is good from the black tea is tannins right? that's exactly what the almond leaves release...

I still have doubts about adding salt, some people recommend it, some not...

I have some bogwood in my tank which is still leaching out tannins (though not as bad as it was!) it makes the water slightly tea-coloured but maybe putting some in your tank will stop the white stuff coming back??

I have almond leaves in my tank and the water gets darker, I used it for my golden when she got reddish toes and fungus and never had it back

but now I have a wild type that has some kind of skin issue, maybe it's nothing (I took him to a vet and he said it was pigmentation and he recommended to add salt), it's like his skin was covered in little white dots when you see him with more light, and it looks like if he has "dry" skin...

I was wondering if adding salt to the tank's water is beneficial, not beneficial or it doesn't make any difference...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back