External filter for new tank set up.

Goobs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just got myself a 140 liter, 1m x 40cm(W) x 45cm(H) tank from ebay. It was a bargain but all i have is tank, cabinet and hood so i need to get all the extras, filter, air pump etc...

What is really confusing me is the filter. I think i want an external canister filter but i'm unsure which to get and also what media i need. It would be great if any of you give me some advice on which filter would be best for this size aquarium and what media i need for axolotls???

I have an aquaclear filter for my 20 gallon and I personally really like it (they make some for larger tanks too). It's easy to maintain and quiet. The water flow is slightly high but you can easily adjust it or do as I did and have something to put against the water flow, causing it to face the side of the tank. I keep the lid off and it makes it even more quiet.

I did try a topfin filter and it was so loud it sounded like a bulldozer was going through my room!

Those are the only two I have had experience with, but I hope that helps!

A mini canister type might do really well for you. I love the zoo med 501s but they are difficult to get primed and to clean. Fluvals and Eheims are popular out here too. Most of these either come with a spray bar attachment or you can easily find one for them.

I like the minis for the slow water flow but would steer away from an internal type filter because of a possible heat problem.

I have used and continue to use the waterfall types as well with success and as mentioned, they are simple to maintain. I like to turn down the water flow or divert the waterfall through something so the current isn't so strong.

Yes, Melissa! I know what you mean about the Top Fins! I had a similar experience so I prefer Tetra Whispers. :D

I have a Hagen cascade filter on my aixe tank, it is extremely quiet, you can't even hear it over the sound of the water returning to the tank, the only downside is that the cartridges are disposable, and they clog very quickly, and its about $15 for a pack of 5 new ones.

I use a large Aqua One CF2200 (possibly sold under the "Aquis" brand outside of australia) canister on my big tropical tank which is lightly stocked with tetras, and I only have to clean it about once every 3 months, it is essentially set up and forget.

it has 3 large baskets that are removable, with a corse pre-filter sponge in the first, filter-floss in the second stage topped with ceramic tubes, then bio-balls and carbon in the top basket, and the canister itself has a 18L capacity, so it has a huge surface area.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back