Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: Meet Zeb-Ra and What the heck???

MereB

Reaction score
Now I can admit it, I'm a sucker for a baby axolotl and I can't stop myself I HAVE to view every thread with pics of new babies and the member albums :eek: I've been know to google baby axies as well. I just love them :) but today I've seen something new to me :D

Found this little guy amongst the hundred odd others :rolleyes: He or She can't seem to make up it's mind about what colour it would like to be. It's very much a dark wild typeish coloring on the lower half of it's abdomen and tail but it's head and back are something else entirely with accents of yellow all over the place :confused:

Has anyone ever seen this and do you think it will just darken up on top?
There is another one similar to this one but is more of a pale grey on the bottom and light grey on top, not nearly as striking.

Making is photographic Debut I give you Zeb-Ra (named by my 6yo)
jjbt05.jpg

2i8k5n7.jpg

16ivel0.jpg

1629lr6.jpg

10z7k1v.jpg

ax

Reaction score
Wow, that really is an interesting colour,, I'm afraid I can' offer any insight into the type, I have little knowledge myself :p but I do know it will look so cool well full grown :D

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They change a LOT as they grow. Keep an eye on this one! It might turn out to be something cool, but more than once I've thought that about larvae who turned out to be plain ol' wildtype.

MereB

Reaction score
haha I don't mind if he turns out to be something plain and obviously I would prefer he stay this way but for now he/she looks pretty cool. I have it seperated out from the others so I don't lose it so I will let you know how it grows.

MereB

Reaction score
Looks like little Zeb has decided s/he wants to be a wild type. It's getting darker around the sides of it's head and on it's nose, oh well :rolleyes:

2w2rf3r.jpg

MereB

Reaction score
Do I see front leg buds?
See now I wondered the same thing looking at the pics of my brood from yesterday, they all seem to have little tiny white protrusions starting but surely 6 days is too soon for legs to be growing in :eek: Should probably go check Axolotl.org it's been a while since Fish was that small and I think he was a bit of a late bloomer :rolleyes:

haha, looks like a little wasp!
:lol: you're right haha perhaps I should rename him sting ;)

OK maybe it's not such a stretch to think they are limb buds, from the rearing page...
axolotl.org said:
At 9 days, most larvae have very noticeable front limb buds

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
This is one of it's siblings from yesterday, yep we have limb buds
xlht3p.jpg

Last edited:

MereB

Reaction score
That's ok.
Alas no he did not keep his unique markings. A month later the pigment had spread all the way over his back and he grew to look just like his wild siblings.

Pic at 3 months

And one from the last few weeks of what he and his siblings turned into.

They are a little over 7 months old now and so far they have very very little shiny pigment. They all have the shiny eye ring but so far only a few really have any on their body.

Attachments

• DSCF8318.jpg
    DSCF8318.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 253
  • DSCF8669.jpg
    DSCF8669.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 201
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1