Country
Canada
Display Name
Laaine <3
laaine-albums-king-s-gills-picture14275-king-andy-gills5.jpg
laaine-albums-king-s-gills-picture14273-king-andy-gills3.jpg
I
laaine-albums-king-s-gills-picture14271-king-andy-gills.jpg

I noticed this happening to his gills about 2 months ago. Recently I decided I was gonna do a full cleaning on his tank so I took him out and put him in the fridge overnight. I guess the fridge temperature was a little lower than 5 degrees celcius.. it was around 3. Is that really bad? I left him in a container by his tank until the water temp went up about 15 degrees and then slowly added his tank water more and more and then put him back in his new clean tank. I did a 50% water change and thorough gravel siphon while he had been in the fridge. Have a look at the pics, I am hesistant to do a salt bath cause I fear that fridging him at that cold of a temp would of stressed him but it seemed like it helped the whiteness on his gills go away. Do you think I should do a salt bath at a low concentration? If you look at the pics they kinda show that the whiteness is on almost every gill, but mostly on the one gill. It comes and goes too, when I do a gravel siphon it seems better. Is this a fungus? It doesn't seem fluffy or anything. Since I fridged him he hasn't been swimming aroundd his tank as much and I think he ate but I can't be sure cause the bloodworms could of been sucked into the filter current. I am going to give him some today and see how it goes but he seems otherwise healthy. Before I fridged him he seemed more active though. He seems like he is mad at me.. ALSO : I am not sure if this is anything but one of his eyes possibly looks like it is cloudy and a little swollen.. what could this be? I can't be sure if I am seeing that but I think I am.. is there anything that relates to that sort of thing? Again, take a look at the pics and there is a picture of him standing up where you can see his eye. Thanks and please help.. he means a lot to me. :(
The temperature sits between 58-60 degrees fahrenheit just to let you know, and he is in a 20 gallon tank with large rocks as substrate and a Aqua Clear 20 Power Filter . There are also 2 white cloud minnows in the tank which he was supposed to eat and he has not. Could it be parasitic??
laaine-albums-king-s-gills-picture14274-king-andy-gills4.jpg

Re: Recognize these photo's?? Have a look.

What I am seeing appears to be pigment related. You do mention a change in his behavior though and the fact that it appears to change after a cleaning is questionable. What are the other parameters in your tank? Ammonia? Nitrite/Nitrate? pH?

I have to say I am not a fan of large rocks because despite your best cleaning efforts, gunk still lurks between and under these things that could be causing problems with the chemical balance of your tank.

I advise against doing a complete break down of the tank though. I think that's what you were considering. I would suggest getting a good set of parameters and use a submerged jar when feeding bloodworms because they can seep down between the rocks too. Ever feed him live worms - like nightcrawlers? Those are neater and can be handfed plus you can't beat the nutritional level.

I would also suggest trying to slow that waterflow. An Aqua Clear puts off a lot of current in that waterfall so I would try diverting the flow through some filter floss, a sponge, or even an artificial plant. His fimbriaie (gill feathers) are very short and may even be getting nipped at by the fish you mentioned.

If his eye is getting cloudy, that could be bacteria related but a photo would be helpful.

Hi thanks for your reply !! I am actually ordering a complete new set up online for him. I was going to get some sand. I looked through a few posts and decided on getting this sand:

Estes Ultra Reef Beige Marine Sand - 5lbs

after reading this post: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...ers-substrate/73372-50-gallon-tank-build.html

I think it will be a good choice and easier to clean. I am definatly going to look into trying to reduce the water flow, I suppose it probably is too strong for his little gills !! I am getting more plants and another cave as well and moving him to a 45 gallon. Any tips on the move? Cycling? Any tips would be great, I would really like it be the least bit stressful for him as possible. I will definatly be reading plenty of posts about it !! Thanks again, and I will check his parameters. He did eat 2 cubes of bloodworms yesterday but he seems to be staying in one area of the tank.. whereas before he would swim around and come up to the top to say hi. He seems mad at me..

I love that sand. It is a bit "bubbly" at first though, so you have to keep running something over it to break the bubbles up for a day or two. But I definitely recommend it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back